New pc assembly help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a copy of XP with sp2 already on it, but sometimes the cd rom in my old pc (well, the one I'm using now) wont read it. So I was going to try putting 98 on and then XP pro over it after. But now I can't do anything at all :(

I'm worried that I've spent a lot of our money, only to break the harddisk. I couldnt find anything about it on google or WD site, except the test where you power it with only the power cord attached, and it says if it keeps making the clicking noise then its broken. Hard drives cannot break that easily, can they?

Keaton, before you tried to format with your xp disk, did you go into your bios setup to see if everything was okay in there? You need to make sure that it is set correctly for a Raid setup. Also it doesn't hurt to let it set there for several hours to check the temp of a new rig. Liz

Hmmm, I didn't think of all that. My case has a little dongle thing in it, which I figured out is a temperature taker, its sitting on the bottem of the case. It reads about 28 degrees, but I don't think I've had it on for near an hour.

I'm not sure what a RAID set up is, there are 4 raid sata connectors and 4 sata connectors, I put it into non raid connector number 1. I will try it in RAID one. What is it that I would need to set up in the bios, I've nosed around alittle bit, but I can't find anything that looks like it can be changed. What should I be looking out for?

Sorry, the HD didn't come with a book, and the manual for the mobo dosnt explain much about drives :(

What would happen if I put this harddrive (the one I am using now, in the old pc, with ME on it) into my new case? Would it be as simple as popping it in, and off it goes? And does all bios and stuff need to be configured? Because I looked at it, and couldnt make sense of it, it seems to have detected everything I have in my case and all I changed was the date and time.

First off, you need to realize that SATA is not something that Windows ME and Windows 98 is going to support. Stick with either 2000 or XP only. ME and 98 pre-date the SATA altogether.

Next, did you connect all three of the connectors for the SATA drive? You have the red power SATA connector, the black one and the standard one. Also make sure that NONE of the cords to the SATA are bent. They can't have any actual bend in them. They can be gently bowed over but no bend in them.

Raid is complicated, and maybe the best way to explain is is this way, I was involved in a thread dealing with a similar issue on another forum. These were two of the comversations posted:

This site describes at least 9 levels of RAID system.

I think you may need RAID 1 to work the SATA as a single (mirror mode so that the second disk if attached duplicate everything the first does).

I have mentioned caution on RAID. Your RAID 0 is in striped mode where you request your files to be halved so as to be shared by two disks. Thus you can cutdown the hard disk access time by half and speed up its performance (twice as fast theoretically). Depending on the RAID drivers you may have difficulty to persuade your board to support a single SATA if it was never designed for such an event.

Personally I think if you have a problem of loading XP into a SATA then you could get into deeper water to clone hard disks. Ghost is a commercial product similar to the Drive Image. They are very sophicated software designed to do things against the wish of Windows. The proper use of these software requires a higher level of computer knowledge.

I think you are better served to deal with the fundamental problem. If XP does not have the SATA driver up front it can't recognise a SATA disk. That is why the very first thing XP cares about is to acquire the driver before it does anything with the installation.

XP is a world class product, despite my dislike of it, and so every manufacturer would be bending backward to support it hence your SATA driver should work or Samsung will never sell SATA disks again.

Thus you need to find out if your Jetway board can accept SATA running as a single. In my case My MSI K8T Neo permits me to run SATA as a single but I haven't found out the same can be done on my ASUS board yet. It might just a dead end in your case too.

This one was posted by a technician friend of mine:
THIS IS A HARDWARE problem; installing the SATA drivers with the F6 key as WinXP loads is all fine and good, but you HAVE to correct the CMOS settings in order to be able to BOOT from the SATA drive.

You CAN'T use EITHER of the RAID SETTINGS; you're ONLY using the one SATA HARD DRIVE, so RAID is NOT an option, though you probably know that. Any RAID array requires at LEAST two drives, and I understand that you want to move your original IDE drive to another system. That should NOT be a problem, once you get the CMOS settings to BOOT from the SATA drive.

FWIW, when PCI RAID and ULTRA ATA (high-speed) PCI controller cards first became cheap and widely available about four years ago, many people could NOT get them to work, because they did NOT understand how to configure them in the CMOS settings. Many motherboards did NOT have a setting dedicated to booting from those add-in cards, because the BIOS was developed BEFORE the add-in cards were so plentiful.

The engineers who developed the add-in cards needed a way to make their new cards work with the motherboards already in use worldwide; in order to do THAT, they knew that they had to make the add-in controller cards work with a CMOS setting that was ALREADY available in most of the modern BIOS chips, and they decided to use the "SCSI BOOT" option to accomplish that.

Their solution was simple, though it seemed BIZARRE at first; in order to get the add-in controller card to work as a boot device, they programmed the BIOS chips which would be installed on the add-in cards to LIE to the motherboard BIOS chip! The BIOS chip on the card FOOLS the motherboard BIOS chip by identifying itself as a SCSI device. When that happens, the motherboard BIOS does NOT try to boot from any IDE devices that are attached to the motherboard. Instead, it allows the add-in card to handle the bootup process, and goes to work handling the floppy disk, the modem, and anything else it can locate.

All the computer builder had to do was to install the add-in card in a PCI slot, and then enable the "SCSI BOOT" option in the CMOS settings; the add-in card BIOS would trick the motherboard BIOS by identifying itself as a SCSI device during POST, and the motherboard BIOS would stop looking for a boot device. The add-in card BIOS would then take control of the devices attached to it, and boot the system when it found an IDE device which contained an operating system. Once boot up begins, the add-in card BIOS signals the motherboard BIOS that it can now activate the other hardware in the system. The motherboard BIOS then continues polling to see if there is a modem installed, or a printer attached to the parallel port, and so on.

For the end-user, this all meant that you ALSO had to enable a CMOS setting that allowed a SCSI device to boot the system. As I've already mentioned, when that setting was ENABLED, the MOTHERBOARD BIOS handed off control to the add-in controller card; the motherboard BIOS is designed to allow ANY device enabled through the "SCSI BOOT" option to have control of the boot process, once the "SCSI BOOT" option was initialized by the motherboard BIOS.

Think about that for a moment; the motherboard BIOS does not "KNOW", and does not CARE, if a NON-SCSI device takes control; how would the motherboard BIOS "know" if an ELEPHANT was attached to the add-in card? It WOULDN'T "know", it wouldn't CARE, it is only a ROM chip, and if the CMOS setting requires the "SCSI BOOT" option to be enabled, it WILL be enabled; whatever happens to the boot device AFTER that is NOT handled by the MOTHERBOARD BIOS. All OTHER devices (the CD-ROM drive, the floppy drive, etc.) WILL be handled by the motherboard BIOS, but the BOOT DEVICE, whatever it may be, is handled by the "SCSI" device in the PCI slot, whether it is actually a REAL SCSI device or something else entirely. The motherboard BIOS simply activates the "SCSI BOOT" option by way of the CMOS settings, and the BIOS chip attached to the ADD-IN card takes over control of the boot device.

What that means in YOUR situation, Carl S, is that you have to locate the CMOS setting that will allow you to boot from the SATA drive. Since I have no way to see the manual for your motherboard, I can't SPECIFICALLY advise you on which setting to change, but it will OBVIOUSLY be related to the BOOT DEVICES. SOMEWHERE in there, you SHOULD see an option that allows booting from a SATA drive, or it might be marked as a "SATA / RAID BOOT DEVICE" or "RAID / SATA BOOT DEVICE", or by some OTHER label entirely, but UNTIL you find and ENABLE it, you WON'T be able to BOOT from the SATA drive, and WinXP will FAIL to install the first time it reboots during the installation process, since the SATA drive is NOT (yet) considered a boot device by the motherboard BIOS. HOWEVER, once you find the right CMOS setting and change it to ENABLE booting from the SATA drive, everything will work as you expect it to.

Well, what do you know, ANOTHER highly detailed post from me, but one that I feel is required to (hopefully) UNDO the damage I've caused in this thread, simply because I did NOT take the time to give Liz a COMLETE answer when I had the opportunity. To be honest here, I've actually SIMPLIFIED the explanation of how this entire process occurs, but with any luck, you now know all you need to know to understand what happens, and how you can MODIFY your CMOS settings to make your SATA drive the boot device.

I hope this helps you understand that it can be done but it must be done in an o/s that is fairly new like windows 2000 or xp. It can't be done with 98. And ME is just too danged buggy. Liz

Raid is complicated, and maybe the best way to explain is is this way, I was involved in a thread dealing with a similar issue on another forum. These were two of the comversations posted:
I don't think he wants RAID does he? I never saw it, I think this crap would just confuse him. And where do you get 3 connectors for an SATA drive? You should only use 2, the data cable that goes to the mobo and 1 OR THE OTHER between the legacy 4 pin power or the sata power connector.

Maybe I missunderstood you, but I wanted to try to clearafy.

And where do you get 3 connectors for an SATA drive? You should only use 2, the data cable that goes to the mobo and 1 OR THE OTHER between the legacy 4 pin power or the sata power connector.

I have ONE SATA and use three connectors, red power SATA connector, the black one and the standard one. Liz

I have ONE SATA and use three connectors, red power SATA connector, the black one and the standard one. Liz
So you have two power connectors from your psu going to it? If so, that is really bad!! From what I have read that can fry the drive! I would check that out.

I have also read that using the SATA power cord and the legacy (thats what its called, right?) is bad. There are a lot of cords in my mobo box, even a converter for 20 pin power cord to 24 pin, but it seems that I do not need that, as power is running and I can get to the bios screens and initial start up screens.

Part of the problem is that my XP cd dosn't work all the time, its like the pc chooses when it wants to see xp on it, or just an empty cd. My flat mate just tried to install that same copy of xp onto his laptop, but had the same problem, so he put 98 on it, then updated to xp like most users would have when xp came out. I did get as far as the 98 set up wanting to format my new drive, but it was stuck on 1 percent for over 30 minutes (I know, I shouldnt have done it) so I restarted the machine, only to find it makes a clicking sort of noise.

Before any of this the bios screens showed my drive in the sata 1 section, but a few hours after my cutting short of a format it it dosn't show up in the bios at all. I really don't know what is happening with it, I don't even know where to begin, though I try to fix it and look for solutions.

I did have an idea though, putting this harddrive that has ME on it and putting it into the new machine. Then get the pc to format, fix, recognise (whatever it needs to do), then install xp onto that. The only problem, really, is that I do not want to keep anything from this old harddisk, its full of spyware, virus's, junk files, and things that a AMD Duron 700 and a 32Mb stick of ram were never designed to run or fix in the first place.

I'm really sorry about all this, I was so sure (even though I was overwhelmed at the thought of it) that it would be easy enough for even me to build my own pc, but I've just hit a brick wall with this one :(

EDIT: I just thought I should mention, that I can upgrade this pcs ME to XP, but I didn't want to bother, sort of save the eXPerience of it for the new pc, or something like that from the minds of bill gates marketing team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom