What is Making My computer run so SLOW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, you can use your mp3 player to back up all your files (music, videos, documents, or anything else you would like to keep).

Alex, yes you can control what start up on your computer. This has alot of affect on slow computers. You'll probably be amazed what you will find starting up. This is how you do it on Windows XP's.

Start
Run
Then type MSCONFIG
Then look at your folders, and find START UP.

Anything that is clicket obviously is enabled. Becareful what you unclick, i know my current computer inside out. Most people dont, so be careful. Also, i do agree on 1GB RAM upgrade.

I say try the reformat (free solution), before you try the memory upgrade ($olution).

Have you checked what is running in task manager?

Hit ctrl+alt+del and see what processes are running and if you have a high CPU bandwidth consumption. If you do see that a particular program is causing the high usage, type the exact name of that program into Google and see what it is. Then terminate the process and see if your PC speed comes back to normal. You may have a program that is going nuts in there and not going to be recognized as spyware or a virus.

I just fixed a friend's PC for the same symptoms. He uses AOL (which I absolutly hate) and one of the anti-spyware updates went crazy on his PC. Long story short, it was eating up 95% of the CPU bandwidth and that PC ran extremely slow, to say the least. Killed the process, but it came back after reboot. I unistalled AOL and reloaded it. All is fine.

Check that before you deem the need for complete OS reload.

Though, a clean OS install is always good if you have been running that current load for over a year.

These are really good sugg especially with the 1 gig of RAM, but even if he does do a format that spy ware might still be on the drive. about 3 months ago I had to format a clients pc because of that stupid SASSER worm and it was still their when I was done with formatting. It seems that I had to format 2 times in a row for it to get out. But do this, when you pc is idling open up ur processes window click mem usage and look at the top see if anything seems out of the blue and not system idle processes if you are unsure of something google it. I used to do it alot back long time ago.

Well, I started to play around with MSCONFIG and all the sudden i gained 2GB of space on my HD. Also, when I turn my comp on this window shows up saying "Couldn't find C:\Program Files\Wild Tangent..." How do I get ride of this message? it shows up everytime i start my comp.

Well I got my previouse problem solved. Now Everytime i restart my comp it says that I have made some changes in MSCONFIG blah blah blah. Should i just check off the box "Dont show me this message again" ?

Thanks alot guys those were some really good advice. the one comment about the msconfig was great. things were loading that i had deleted months ago hopefully my computer will be back to normal, and i will let you guys know how everything goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom