Computer Speaker Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty2k1

Solid State Member
Hey,
Building my first computer with a 90% idea of what to do and buy.

Anyways, I'm somewhat of an audiophille as well and want to hook my computer's sound card up to my reciever for my home theater system.

This saves me a couple hundred on a great speaker set for the computer, and possibly even higher quality audio.

I have no idea whatsoever on how to do this.

I looked on the backs of some Creative cards, even the high end ones didnt have RCA jacks that I could see, and I need to get the sound that they carry to a pair of L and R (Red and White) RCA, or 5.1 channel RCA jacks and still retain the 5.1-7.1 chanels of surround sound (not stero).

I think there may just be adapter cords, but do they still carry the full 5.1 channels of sound?

A good sound card will have a digital audio out (coax or optical), the same you use for a DVD player for example.

^^^
Most audiophiles will use analog amp's still unless their the newskool type

Yes you can run an RCA to minijack connector to connect your soundcard to your RCA gear.

Also, you could run true surround sound probolly. Mind telling us what reciever you want to plug the sound card into? This would be better than running to a "decoder" or w/e, you dont really get surround sound from channels.

And if you are mainly into music, surround sound is 99% pointless. Music is not even recorded or made in surround sound. Surround sound is only useful with movies and gaming IMO.

Also, if you are into music I would recomend getting a simplier solution for the same price would be a sound card such as the m-audio 2496. 1 in, 1 out (ANALOG) and 1 in and out for digital. Much better quality than a soundblaster. It even has RCA plugs instead of minijacks.

If you really want surround sound, i recomend checking out turtle beach's cards, as they are as good as \ better as the high end soundblasters and somewhat cheaper as well.

Thanks guys,
And yes, I'm into analog, dont even have DTS encoding.

Right now Im running a sony that is actully a few years old.

It has the standard optical in, few sets of L and R in, and 5.1 channel in. Even a video in and out because it has Game Sync mixing, which is not to bad.

And yes, I watch hella movies, and play a lot of games through the PS2, and through the computer. Too bad my computer right now is over 5 years old, almost 6.

But MUSIC is my thing.

I own some DVD-A and other special 5.1 mixes of albums, such as the newly released Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition ;)

Oh and thanks for the tip on the sound card, that was going to be my next question. Not much into computer audio till now.

You could buy 2 soundcards :) One for music and one for movies \ games.

Also were the only 2 analog people in this digital forum.

Personally I favor analog better. But sometime i want to switch to an all digital route for my audio. This is only because I do alot of analog to digital and back again conversions.

After getting a digital efx processor and digital amps (once i have 4k to afford one) all the conversions will degrade the sound quality. However, none of the mixers I want are digital though :/

*barf* overpriced crap

Here's the santa cruz, the one alot of people like. I dont own one of these turtle beach cards though. I have an older one that I liked until it didnt work on my new PC :/

Here's the santa cruz
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/santacruz/

M-Audio and Maya also have some offerings in the low end sound card industry that would be good for you to look at.

That m-audio 2496 looks tits. I am glad I haven't bought mine yet, that one definately goes to the top of my list.

Anyways, I'm somewhat of an audiophille as well and want to hook my computer's sound card up to my reciever for my home theater system
The home theater part is what first promted me to suggest digital since "home theater" referres to movie/surround sound set ups. By the looks of it though that m-audio has both which is great. You could listen to those dvd-a's and movies in dd and music in analog 2 channel.

I was actually planning on doing the same thing since I am soon replacing my living room receiver (going with seperates).

Does the m-audio ONLY support 2 channel stero, or does it also support 5.1 channel audio to be selected between by my reciever?

If it even does support 5.1 channels, does it have Dolby Digital/Pro Logic II/DTS decoding?

Sorry, I looked and looked and still cannot figure it out.

If it does support it all, it seems to be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom