Bootup Screwedup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseyWasey

Beta member
Hi people.

I've run into a bit of a problem this afternoon...

here's what happened, i have Windows XP Pro on a computer, when i partitioned the drive for it, i left 2GB free, just for a restore partition, all was going well, i managed to install XP, create another partition, and backup the first partition using Norton's Ghost, the restore partition is hidden using GDISK, then tried unhiding the partition, so i could make some changes to the ghost image, and i removed it by accident, recreated a partition, rebooted, and.... oh dear.....

it now doesn't appear to boot from the first partition into windows XP Pro, if i put the XP disk in, and run the recovery console, it sees that windows is installed, i tried doing a recovery installation, it copied all the files, rebooted, and STILL wont boot, wont even boot to the windows install.... have i sevirely messed up the MBR, and if so, is there anyway i can sort it out!?

Thanks in advanced.

Jason.

nope, fixboot didn't work, and for me to get the boot.ini, would involve too mch hastle, but its not getting that far, it goes past the hard drive, and onto the network to try and boot, as if the MBR isn't there!
:(

Jay

get a drive image cd or Partition magic boot disc and unhide your regular C partition (PM) or boot to the other partition (drive image). it automatically got hidden when you set the one to active

Hi peeps, got it working, by using

Code:
#gdisk 1 /act /P:1 /X /I /S /Y /R

#fdisk /x /mbr

it now boots into windows.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom