Missing sound after partition joining

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing to try - realise I should have got you to check this first of all as it is the most obvious thing!
Go into control panel & multimedia.
On the first page, at the bottom, there should be a check box labelled 'show volume control on task bar'. Make sure this is ticked.

Hello Samm,
Control panel, multimedia, first tab, that’s the tab I already told you in my second message. This tab is completely grey (inactive), but the entry “show volume control on the task bar” is ticked! I can’t do any adjustments at this tab which refers to audio playback and audio record. In audio playback under preferred devices “no playback device” is mentioned. Same status in audio record.
My best regards to you, and thank you for your patience. Should you have any other idea, which could help to solve my problem, please let me know. Herbert

Hi Herbert

Given your problem a re-think. Can you please do the following in this order :

1. Reboot into safe mode (press F8 key a few times just after the the Bios Post tests & before windows starts to load)

2. Go into system - device manger & expand the multimedia tree.
(Safe mode will sometimes show up device entries that are invisible normally). If there any any items listed there that shouldn't be there, delete them. If there any any duplicate entries, delete all of them.

3. Reboot normally. If you deleted any duplicate entries, windows may reinstall some devices.

4. If you still have a problem or if there was nothing to delete in device manager, do the following :

5. In add/remove programs, go to the windows setup tab. Untick the multimedia option. Apply & OK.

6. Go back into the same place & re-tick multimedia, & OK it.

7. If this still doesn't work, do this :

8. Go to the run command on the start menu & type msinfo32
When this opens, go to the tools menu & select DirectX diagnostic.

Run each of the tests for sound/music & let me know what the results are

Hi Samm,

Congratulation!!! YOU SOLVED THE PROBLEM!
Indeed, after booting in safe mode, and expanding the multimedia tree in the systems device, I found 6 entries which were not there by normal booting. Here the list of the additional entries, which I deleted:
- Microsoft DirectMusic SW Synth (WDM)
- Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
- Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetablesynthesizer
- Microsoft Kernel System Renderer
- Streaming Clock Proxy
- Streaming Service Proxy
After I rebooted in normal mode windows reinstalled something and after the systems actualisation the sound was there!

Thank you very much for your great patience, and for your assistance. I never would have found that fault, I even didnÂ’t know that after booting in safe mode invisible entries are shown. Since software has been created I donÂ’t feel very well. You never knows what the system is going to do! Or better: Never touch a running system!

But I wanted to use my old laptop with USB, and my operation system was WIN 95 only. First I tried to install a new HDD with 20GB from Toshiba. But I couldnÂ’t get this HDD working in my Compaq Armada. The Laptop didnÂ’t identify the new HDD. So I bought an update WIN 98 SE original CD-ROM via Ebay, and changed to WIN 98 SE. The sound was ok and working! Later on I changed from FAT 16 to FAT 32, and joined the two existing partitions C and D to one partition. Of course I didnÂ’t touch the small partition for the BIOS setup. After the two partitions were joined to one, the sound was missing!

Now I will try to install my USB 2.0 Cardbus card (PCMCIA slot) and try to activate my USB interface. After that I try to use the Toshiba HDD 20 GB as an external device. Hope this will work without any problems. May I contact you again, should I get problems with my installation? First I will wait till the weekend, because I have to recover a bit from this adventure; lol! Original IÂ’m an engineer for professional TV Broadcast systems, and installed TV studios in South America, Africa, Asia and of course in Europe. Should you like to contact me, my e-mail address is hollersbac@gmx.net

Thanks again for your great assistance Samm!

My best regards to you.

Herbert :laughing:

Great to hear everything is now working!

It's difficult diagnosing & solving problems over the net, if i'd had your machine in front of me, probably would have only taken me about 10 minutes to fix!
Helps enormously though when someone gives (like you have done) accurate & detailed info to start with & actually tries the things you have suggested to them.

Of course you can contact me again if you have any further problems.

My email address is :
samm.michele@blueyonder.co.uk

Good luck with the laptop.

Samm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom