Dvd+r Vs. Dvd+_rw???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMorgan86

Solid State Member
i just boutht a NEC 16x dvd+_rw dual layer dvd burner and verbatim 16x dvd+r blank media. i've been able to burn back-ups onto the dvd+r media, but when i put it into my new samsung dvd player that's hooked up to my tv, it says to check the dvd and that it's not a playible disc. the samsung dvd player is only about 7 months old and is a good model (not a 30$ cheapy). my questions is this: do i need to burn my back-ups onto dvd+rw media since my dvd burning is a dvd+_rw? also, could that be the reason why my samsung dvd player cant read my verbatim dvd+r media that i'm currently trying to use? please advise...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Crucial DDR400 PC3200 2x256
Sharp 19” LCD
40 & 120 gig ultra133 7200rpm HDÂ’s
eVGA Nvidia GeForce FX5500

Most DVD+R discs will work in newer DVD players.

But, you have to make sure you burn the DVD with the proper format. With your burner, you probably got Nero. Nero can make a DVD thats playable in DVD players.

exactly what format?????? everyone talks about ripping/burning with the right format, but i cant get any details. when i rip it, i just select the big .VOB files that are the actual movie chapters. please explain......

In Nero, you just select the "Burn a DVD movie" option on the first screen. Then just follow the directions that Nero gives you.

DVD-R and DVD+R have the same function - basically anything that can be written to a disc can go on either format.

The only difference is compatibility. They're two different standards, and since DVD-R was around first it's the most compatible with DVD players. All DVD-ROMs will be able to read both formats, however not all DVD players will be able to.

PS: Good post, elbatrop1. Nero = thumbs up.

JMorgan86 are you only putting the VOB's onto the disc?, there should be some BUP and IFO files along with it. have you tried using dvd shrink? if you are creating a valid video DVD it could be that your home dvd player won't read plus (+) discs. assuming you have a NEC 3520 or 3500 you should be able to use minus (-) dvd-r media. see if that fixes your problem.

i'm just ripping the .VOB's to save some space. BUP and IFO stands for backup and information, correct? i'm trying to get everything onto one 4.7 gig disc with minimal compression. if i leave out the BUP's and IFO's, will i be missing anything important?

The Bup and ifo files are practicaly nothing in size compared to VOBs, you're not going to really gain anything by leaving them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom