sata hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I am going to be making a new sata hard drive my primary hard drive. Right now i have an ata hard drive. I know I need to inset a floppy with drivers to boot up when installing windows on the new hard drive. But what drivers do I put on the floppy? Is motherboard drivers or hard drive drivers? The drive is a Western Digital SATA 80GB Hard Drive.

Thanks for any help.

Well, checking up on your current motherboard (Asus A7N8X) specs, the board doesn't even support SATA, so unless you have a different board that you plan on putting the SATA drive in, it's impossible.

However, assuming that you have a different board that supports it, I'll tell you what I've expereienced. A lot of Asus boards have IDE emulation so that it automatically senses the SATA drive as a primary IDE drive for installation... This means that you may not have to install drivers at all, so my first suggestion would just be to take out your current IDE drive(s) and plug in ONLY the SATA drive. Boot up and see what it says, also check to see that SATA Emulation is configured in the BIOS.

After this, install Windows as you normally would on an IDE hard drive.

MoBo Drivers,,

the MoBo has to install the controllers to the sata drive first,,

In XP,, if you install sata drivers, you do the old F6 thingy and direct to the floppy,,,

If you bypass this,, you will come up without any HDD detected,,

The actual Disk Drivers will update the HDD, this is for Cache usage, etc,,

Good Luck,,

Sorry Casey,,,

IF he does that then he LOSES all the benefits of the SATA drive,,, why install SATA if you are not going to reap the benefits of the throughpuT?

He needs to get the proper Drivers for his MOBO and install at time of setup,, in parallel with the SATA adapters,,,
this will maximize his R/W's and give the reward of the investment

cheers

CrashAbbott,

The Asus boards only emulate SATA as IDE at first so that you are able to install an operating system without dealing with drivers and such. After the fact, you are able to disable the IDE emulation and everything returns to full speed SATA.

That's their explination of it, anyhow.

I beg to differ, if it supports SATA, it will say it in the specs: (for example)
Asus P4P800-VM P4(478)/865G/FSB 800/SATA/8X/V/A/L/MATX Motherboard:
CPU: S478 SUPPORTS INTEL P4 UP TO 3.06GHZ+; FSB 800/533/400MHZ
CHIPSET: INTEL 865G CHIPSET
MEMORY: FOUR DIMMS FOR DDR400/333/266 UPTO 4GB(DUAL CHANNEL)
IDE: 2*ATA100 + 2*SERIAL ATA
VIDEO: CHIPSET INTEGRATED
AUDIO: ADI1980 6-CHANNEL(SA); S/PDIF OUT(BACK I/O)
LAN: INTEL 10/100PHY ETHERNET
SLOT: 1AGP(8X); 3PCI
**8*USB2.0**

I have a promise sata card that supposts both sats drives and extra ata drives.

Hopefully that will help.

right now i am using the mobo's ata as the primary drive, but I would like to make one of the sata as my primary for the extra speed.

First of all, pci card works great i have one. Second you technically do not need the card because there are adapters for your SATA HDD that attach to the motherboards IDE connectors. It is the same as having a pci card but without the hassle of buying a full pci card for just one drive. Another thing to consider might be to just install the SATA HDD as an extra HDD and keep your ATA HDD as you primary. If you have Win200 you can even setup a raid system using the two drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom