Who has liquid cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know wat u think a AC does. but all thy run is an electric compressor, and a fan. Also if thy are thermal controled nowadays(witch i have no clue). It would definatly use a lot less energy then a CRT television/monitor.

its common knowledge that distilled water isnt conductive. its just theory to me cause iv never had to test it.

air from a AC unit would actually be better, because moisture is actually removed from the air, so the case would be as dry as can be. the filter ona AC unit would also remove some common debrie such as dust.
----------------------------------------------------------------
note - i may also be giving the rong impression... im not trying to perswaid anyone try my idea over watercooling. my post is just my thoughts, and is just information. take it as is. do what u like with it. at least its just informative knowledge.

Well I'm going by the tiny AC units that my friend has in like 4 of the rooms in his house. The point is an AC unit wouldn't be all that practical. I would like to be able to move my case now and again.

If you want to go ahead with that, then try it and let us know how it goes.

His AC unit will make ice if left on cold too long....ice = no good for computers.

But on that same note, I don't claim to be an expert in AC units or anything so I couldn't tell you the various models out there.

I think I'm going to buy some of that MCT-5 nonconductive liquid from dangerden

Appearantly one reviewer took a PSU cord, plugged it into a wall and threw the other end into a tub of the stuff....nothing happened...so yeah for $20 for almost twice as much as the bigwater comes with I say it'll be worth it to protect my investment.

nope, definatly not practical.. unless ur comp is always stationary like mine. -i dont think iv moved my comp from its exact position in years. but i probably will never test an AC, cause i simply dont have any need to OC my comp/s.

ice can only be formed on a surface that isnt exposed to the AC's output blower. same reason y your car windsheild foggs up on the inside durring winter time. its the warm moist air on the inside that condenses cause the windshield is so cold. the windshield acts as a seperator between the very cold air outside, and the slightly warmer, but more humid air inside.
---------------------------------------------------------
i dont know anything of this non-conductive fluid. but whenever u get the system up an running, id be curouse to know if u get better performance from the liquid plus anticonductive security... or temps being a little higher then expected cause of a trade off for anticonductive liquid security.

Well I don't necessarily move my PC alot, but I'm inside of it a lot, be it just fiddling with it, or clearing the CMOS or somethin.

Ice was forming in the back part of the blower of his AC unit, and after a while it'd clog the machine to the point of needing dry air coming through to melt it a little.

I was reading reviews on that MCT-5 nonconductive liquid.

Apparently one reviewer took a PSU cord, plugged it into the wall, and tossed it into a tub of the stuff :eek: said nothing happened, no sparks, no breaker shuttin down lol, but yeah I wouldn't do something THAT crazy.

They said it will gain you like 1-2C higher temps than using distilled water, but with distilled you'd of course need to mix in anti-corrosion agents and whatnot, and I'm under the impression that if those arent non-conductive, then you've pretty much negated the effects of the distilled waters nonconductivity, but hell I'm still learning about these systems so I don't even fully know yet.

That MCT-5 is premixed and ready to go though.

Out of stock though right now :(

the part right infront of the blower in a AC, is called the Evap-core. besides cooling the air down, it removes the moistur, cause it all condensess on the coil. then dripps and is usually dispensed out the back part that hangs outa window or something. if the cold air is recirulated a lot or if the AC unit is just that cold/powerfull, and its a humid climate, u can freeze it up, so ice blocks the airflow.
but with distilled you'd of course need to mix in anti-corrosion agents and whatnot, and I'm under the impression that if those arent non-conductive, then you've pretty much negated the effects of the distilled waters nonconductivity
good point.

hmm.. u know the more i think of it the more i confuse myself.. what i was thinking...
1) a pc water cooling system gets so hot that it needs a reservoir? or is it a sealed reservoir? not the kind used for expansion/contraction for maintaining luquid pressur.

if its sealed and the only thing in the system is distilled water, no air. then i dont think it can corrode.
2)i forgot wat i was saying lol.

is there anyone reading this thread that has already gone threw this proccess who can just throw down the facts fora pc watercooler? that would make life simple.

I said stay away from AC units because they cost an assload to run. I know they have thermal controls and all that good stuff that will turn it off when the pristine temperature is met, but how long does a temperature stay low in a computer without something to cool it? Not long, like seconds. As soon as that AC goes off, the air and CPU will very quickly warm back up and force the AC back on. So if you want your AC clicking on and off every few seconds, go right ahead with that idea. Also, just because your system temp is 90 degrees, dosent mean your processor is. So in order for the AC unit to accurately turn on and off when the cpu temperature is high, you would have to hook the thermometer in the ac to your computer... A formidable task for anyone. Have fun with that idea.

Nubius, you said your kit came with some liquid. Was that the liquid to fill the system? Or coolant to put into the water system so it cools more efficiently? If it is the latter of the two, it is just an additive to piut into the distilled water. And for the coolant, it is just regular old car antifreeze. You can use distilled water that you get a gallon for a buck for and a bottle of antifreeze that cost 5 bucks a gallon to acheive the same effect. It's just the generic way, its like taking generic prescriptions instead of the name brand ones.

Cooling the heat generating parts in a computer is ALL a water cooling kit does. Nothing more, nothing less. And you do have to worry about vapor lock, since it is a cooling system. Dont you have to worry about vapor lock in any other water system? I know you have to worry about it, because it is a problem I am batteling. Because of it, my processor al most friend. One day my computer just kept restarting over and over, and over. My cousin was staying in my room that night and I was over my buddies, and she was pissed because she thought I was doing it remotely. After some troubleshooting, I remembered I set my shut down temp to 149F. So, sure enough, my computer was overheating. Bacuse there was no water flow in my water system, because of vapor lock. I simply moved the position of some of my hoses, and the flow continued. So now I just keep a watchful eye on my flow sensor making sure it is always moving.

And Nubius, most coolant is UV reactive... Even regular antifreeze, so it looks pretty cool with some lightage.

note- if anyone else just read HIM's post, uv just waisted a minute of your life.

most of his post is obviousely rong, but if anyone wonts an explanation in particular, i can provide it appon request, but im not gana waist time typing if no one actually cares.

note to HIM - your system isnt overheating cause of vapor lock, its overheating because someone dosent know how to propperly cool it.

The liquid that comes with the kit is the actual cooling fluid, not to be mixed with anything else.

) a pc water cooling system gets so hot that it needs a reservoir? or is it a sealed reservoir? not the kind used for expansion/contraction for maintaining luquid pressur.
Not sure if I understand this properly, but the reservoir is purely for the water that evaporates over time. Saw one guy who had hoses going into a 15 gallon fish aquarium lol and that was his reservoir. Just bleeds the lines.

if its sealed and the only thing in the system is distilled water, no air. then i dont think it can corrode.
Don't know...air gets in there when you fill it up of course, but I really couldn't answer that. I just know though you have to clean it out every 6 months or so, that's what I've read from various liquid cooling experts although they never specifically said why.

In some instances the water blocks were copper and the tops to close em were aluminum and due to the water, it caused galvanic action and that created gunky build up and the metals to corrode.

i googled it just fora couple pics, i dont know how new or old the system that i was looking at was, couldnt tell how the reservior is seald(prolly changes from system to system anyway) but there is defiately air just sitting at the top, just like a tank.

i was imagining it being more seald up so u need to blead it like a cars brakes or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom