Trying to install windows 98 on a new 120gig harddrive...it is stuck at detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i go to IDE harddrive auto detect it freezes and I have to reboot...

what the hell is going on

Depending on you BIOS (PhoenixBIOS, AWARD,etc), you need to go to the manufacturer's website and download it. Hope that the power doesn't go out during the BIOS upgrade, otherwise you're done.

My guess is that BIOS looks at it and it has more space than it can address in the BIOS. Some have a limitation of 2GB, 4, 10GB, etc.... If it doesn't detect it, that's why.

Try going to the type, hit user, and use the numbers from your HDD label to get a somewhat close picture of the drive's size to your BIOS.

What would you suggest here? I am running Windows 2000, and am installing 98, then upgrading to XP shortly after.

I don't know what to do since BIO upgrades go by operating system.

You have to know the exact model number of your motherboard. Should be displayed on bootup, in your bios or on the motherboard.

All you need is another comp to download the files and put them on a floppy.

what will happen if I put the wrong ones on or power goes otu? No more Mobo?

Doh this is getting too confusing, a simple job

Would you just give this computer back and tell him it can't be upgraded?

What should I say from a business standpoint ;(

How big was the original HDD?

What should I say from a business standpoint ;(

That's a tough call man, I mean from one standpoint, you stand to gain $100 if everything goes well, but if you don't think you're capable of providing a sucessful completion of what the customer wants, you could get a bad rep.

If a mechanic didn't have the know-how to fix a fuel-system failure, would you rather him be upfront or jerk you around?

Just some things to consider. Let us know how it turns out.

PS : I didn't mean that with a negative connotation, just could not think of another way to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom