Sound question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Hey guys. I don't really know much about sound technologies that are out there. For one thing, what is the difference between 2.1/5.1/6.1??.. Are these called channels?.. And how are they different.

i have 5.1 speaks 5.1 is five speakers and one base
2.1 is two speakers and one base
etc.

get it?

So I take it that the # of channels wrt speakers is proportional to the # of speakers, while the # of channels (2.1 vs 5.1) with respect to the sound card refers to the # of speakers it supports surround sound wise?..

I am a 2.1 speaker system. For this, is a SB Live! 24-bit sufficient?.. Any point in upgrading to an Audigy or an Audigy 2??..

Okay basicly all of the above is correct

In your average suround sound system the first number means how many main speakers. The number after the decimal place represents a subwoofer, even though you can have as many subwoofers as you want.

ok kool i was right- the decimal only counts as a subwoofer, though right? a center channel speaker counts as the regular first number correct?

Cool. Thanks guys.

I have CA 3552 2.1 system. Similar to the CA 3550 listed here: CA - 3550

For this speaker set, what kind of sound card do you guys recommend?.. I just have the basic non-HD motherboard sound right now. Can I just get a SB Live! 24-bit?.. Would I notice much of a difference by investing in a Audigy or a Audigy 2?.. I'll be using the sound system for gaming and DVDs..

Its a cheaper setup Chankama I believe, so any half decent sound card would probolly do for it. If you could find some of the older turtle beach cards it would do fine, as well as the newer turtle beach ones or the cheap soundblasters, the like 30$ ones, forgot the name.

I am not a big expert in PC audio, as i focus in the pro audio industry.

I was just thinking, a soundcard with Sharc DSP's like my cd player. That thing would be really expensive though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom