new computer--any advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomwkIV

Solid State Member
Hi there

Just built a new system for DAW (digital audio workstation) use only:

Asus NForce2 A7N8X mobo (w/potential for 400mhz fsb?)
AMD Athlon XP 2.8ghz cpu
1 gig (2x 512mb) Corsair PC3200xl ddr ram (400mhz fsb?)
Maxtor 80gb hard drive (programs, swap file)
Maxtor 250gb hard drive (audio data)
Asus 64mb video
Antec slk 1650 case w/350 watt ‘smart’ power supply (quiet)
Windows XP home edition

(hardware purchased from NewEgg—very quick order processing/delivery, btw)

ItÂ’s running winxp okay so far (I havenÂ’t installed my Delta44 soundcard or Guitar Tracks Pro v.3 audio interface yet)...here are the bumps IÂ’ve encountered so far...

*On startup, the system information reports a ‘memory frequency’ of 200mhz...shouldn’t this be 400mhz? Isn’t this supposed to be the FSB? Please correct me if I’m wrong...I have the jumpers set on the motherboard correctly to allow for the higher bus speeds...

*On startup, the system information reports a “CPU of unknown type—1250 mhz”. The control panel in winXP reports a “CPU of unknown type—1.24 ghz”. Any ideas on how to make my Bios and winXP know that this machine has an AMD Athlon XP 2.8 ghz cpu?

*When I go into my Bios to try to make adjustments (and even when I make no adjustments), I press F10 to “save and exit bios” the computer does not continue booting up. Fans are running, blank screen...but nothing else. Monitor is not even reporting ‘no signal’ like it usually does... What I tried initially was to (hard) power off, then turn the computer back on. Nothing (in terms of bios or OS). Fans running, monitor reporting ‘no signal’. No startup info, or anything. What I ended up doing is using the jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios to its defaults. This is not helping in terms of making adjustments to the bios, if needed. Do I need to ‘flash’ my bios? I’d rather not, without some thoughts from other folks...

Please forgive my ‘newbie’-ness...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Try the bus at 333mhz as I think that's what a 2800 runs at, 400mhz is too high for them i think.

Also, why did you choose an old AMD system for audio???

PC3200 DDR is the same thing as DDR400 i.e 400MHz.

If your CPU is actually 2.8GHz or a XP3200+ or higher, it should also run at 400MHz.
However, if you have a XP2800+ CPU, this actually clocks at 333MHz FSB may not even be properly supported by the mobo. This would explain the unknown CPU type message you are getting.

IF you do have a XP3200 or higher, then double check the jumpers for FSB setting & try setting the RAM frequency to SPD in the Bios.

I assume you mean an Athlon XP 2800+, as there are no AMDs clocked at 2.8Ghz at the moment...

And Athlon XPs use a 333mhz FSB, meaning that your memory has to underclocked to 333mhz or PC2700. It can't work at it's full potential and that is probably why your CPU is not working at full frequency.

Also, the reason your FSB is clocked at 200mhz right now is because your memory DDR, or double data rate memory, meaning that a 200mhz FSB is really the equivelent of double that, or 400mhz, or DDR400.

ThomwkIV said:
*On startup, the system information reports a “CPU of unknown type—1250 mhz”. The control panel in winXP reports a “CPU of unknown type—1.24 ghz”. Any ideas on how to make my Bios and winXP know that this machine has an AMD Athlon XP 2.8 ghz cpu?

Can fix that one for you. But your FSB unoverclocked should be at 333mhz (or may be recognized as 166, because ddr is 166*2 = 333). So unless you are OCing, keep your FSB at that, the memory you have is able to run 400 stable, but the cpu is not set to do that (although it probably could do it). Just keep it @ 333mhz until you get everything how you want it, and then you decide you want to OC.

Open up the bios with whatever key you use. For the XP's most bios's have a default speed set for all of them, until you specify (or let it auto specify) the speed and brand of the chip. You should look for a option names 'Load Optimized Defaults' or something similar to that. Execute the option, save and exit, it should solve the problem for both the POST screen and XP. GL
------------

For the last problem you posted. Depending on how many versions you are behind with the bois, consider it. It isn't that hard at all, I'm sure asus has indepth instructions on how to do it like the other brands.

But about the no-signal setting, maybe your bios is set to look at Onboard, or PCI, or even PCI/Onboard Device for the Video output, look into that, it should look to the AGP slot First and only.

Updating the BOIS could solve the issue you are having with the bios not saving information. Look up on the Asus forums for another answer if this doesn't help.

Good Luck.

Flashing it is a good idea

BTW: I thought the XP's mobo's FSB was 333\400, and the ram would go directly with the FSB. I dont know that much about the XP era's since i never cared about it much.

gaara said:
I assume you mean an Athlon XP 2800+, as there are no AMDs clocked at 2.8Ghz at the moment...

And Athlon XPs use a 333mhz FSB, meaning that your memory has to underclocked to 333mhz or PC2700.

My bad! Wondered why I was having trouble finding one!

However, the XP3200+ Barton does run at 400 FSB - check it out.

Thanks to all very much...

I'll sit down tonight and try out these ideas.

Thanks again.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom