pci slot fan for a 6800gt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

crow0021

In Runtime
anybody try using a pci slot fan under their 6800gt? i don't want to remove the stock hsf yet, but want to try to get temps lower..

I would be very interested to hear results as well. I have the BFG 6800 GT OC, and it is running very hot, 60-65 idle and 75-80 full load. The threshold is 120 but nonetheless, thats hot.

Im ordering one next month sometime. Im going to get one with dual 80mm fans. Then replace them with high out-put 80mm fans. This would help alot with a VGA heatsink, so im hoping for good results. Crow0021, if you want good results, then your going to have to MOD that PCI cooler. I suggest doing the same thing im gonna do. So replacing the 80mm fans would be a great idea.

Another thing, if you want a PCI cooler to work well, you need air in the case, so the fan can pick it up, move it quick so it turns cold. Then blow it towards your card. What im getting at is that you need alot of Intake, for it to work good.

xteam02001, thats a nice 3dmark05 score. do u have stock cooling to achieve that oc??

idiotec, my load temp is 85c.

um if you had water cooling. would you need any fans at all? im not being sarcastic im asking a real question(bit of a noob).

technically you wouldnt need any fans other than the one for the power supply, but they even have those without fans now (though expensive). It is a good idea though to get a few fans to keep air goin in and out of your case. Also, w/ the water cooling, unless it is a fanless setup, the radiator will require a few fans to run it (example: bigwater). There are some fanless water cooling setups though (zalman).

idiotec, my load temp is 85c.
That makes me feel better, I thought mine might be unusually high. The nice thing was, I OC'd it to400/1100 and it only increased the temp by a few degrease. I still think I am going to wait until I get it running cooler before I leave it that way.

Lol, mine idles at 46-48C. An eVGA 6800GT. Under full load I hit 67-70C MAX. I would love to OC this baby knowing that I would have decently low temps but this shitty psu can't deliver the power. Max of about 12v on the +12v rail. Normally around 11.85v though. Best OC I can get atm is 370/1.08. And yes, it's all stock cooling. But I do have 3-80mm intakes and 3-80mm exhausts. Gonna throw a copper heatsink on it from eVGA and some AS5. That will really lower temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom