2 NICs in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedMN

Beta member
Hi,
I have a brand new Dell system with XP pro installed. The integrated 10/100 NIC goes directly out to our Ethernet and has no problems accessing the Internet.
I've installed a second NIC to go to a switch so that I can share files/printers with our other lab computers. I DO NOT WANT TO SHARE the internet access.
For whatever reason, I cannot make the 2nd NIC work with the switch and other computers in that workgroup. I've checked and rechecked the IP settings, run ipconfig and verified it there. It is enabled, no firewall etc.
The switch is a new 8 port Linksys. I had it all running with the Win 98 system that the new Dell replaced. The NIC is brand new also. I've installed the newest drivers for the NIC also. I've run the wizard in every possible combination and it still does not work.

Ideas please?
Thanks

I'm sorry, i am not quite clear on the way you have your network set up. can you describe your network setup in more detail or draw me a simple diagram? i am not understanding why you need 2 network cards to make this work, and you did not mention if you have a router in the network or not.

and i find it a bit strange that if you have a router they usually come with built in 4-port switches or hub, unless you have more devices than that, which is why you have the switch, to increase the number of devices/ computers attached to the network.

if you have a router you can set it up so that computers with certain adresses have no internet access by using filters. these settings can be accessed through your router's configuration, consult your manual or the manufacturer's website.

there should be many ways to configure you network without internet sharing and also use only 1 network card.

since it is a new dell i assume it runs windows XP? if you give me permission to access your computer through windows XP's remote assistance i can try to troubleshoot it for you remotely. i can explain to you how to send a remote assistance request if you do not know.

From what I gather he has one nic with net access and another for filesharing/printing. He did this because he doesn't want to share the internet on his first nic.

What you should do is take out that second IP, disable internet connection sharing but allow access to your files and your done. No need for 2 nic's.

For Lostman, yes, there are two NICs for exactly that reason. For security purposes, I must physcially separate systems from our in house LAN to rest of the world. Hence, 2 NICS, a switch (instead of a router) and NO internet access to the rest of the world for the other systems on the LAN. Therefore, one NIC will not work. Routers have been labelled as a no no by our IT people. Switches are ok provided they are physically separating.

For Ekesine, I guess the easiest picture I can draw is that I have an XP system that will not commnicate and is not seen by other computers on a switch. Disregard the other NIC going to the outside world, it works.

i don't want to insult your intelligence, but when you said you have no firewalls, did you also disable windows XP's built-in firewall? it is in network "neighborhood>> local area connection" right click it and select properties and in the advance tab uncheck firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom