Hi

I have this problem. I was building up a computer with the following parts:

Amd Duron 1300 processor
Soltek SL-75KAV motherboard
128 MB Hitachi PC100 Sdram
6,4 GB Seagate (medalist) HDD
Heatsink and fan
FDD

Thge problem is that I can´t get the computer to boot up, not even post. There is no sound or beeps or anything.

I have built it on the table, meaning not in a case, and still nothing. I have read somewhere that there could be a corrupt BIOS. How can I be sure of that.

The other thing is taht is the MB broken, or the processor, or both. I don't have an other MB to test the processor.

If you have some information on how i could determine what is wrong, and what part is broken, please tell me!

Thank you in advance!!

well, when you say does not post....does that mean you are getting no power to the board? does the cpu fan start and harddrives spin up? are you getting any type of power to the mobo?

Yes, everything seems to work, the fan, the HDD, and also the 2 leds that are on the mainboard.

I have additionally tried it with a PCI Vga card and still no image, no beeps no nothing.

I had a PCI SCSI Raid card that had a led and the led was lit up, so tyhere is nothing wrong with the PCI slot.

Anyway you can test another cpu on the same motherboard? iv heard of bad cpu's giving nothing but a black screen .

You'll get that result if you plug an IDE drive in backwards. If the CPU is bad, it should still try to post. Try booting with with just a floppy, one stick of memory, and graphics. Do any of the fans spin up? Eliminate all of the simple stuff and you are left with a bad motherboard. I repaired one recently that was zapped by lightning - toasted the MB and modem and it was as dead as a door mat.

so then there is power but not getting any signal to the monitor.....do the obvious and check cables making sure none of the pins in the plugs are bent or what ever, try another monitor, take out the cpu and reseat it into the socket, take out the ram and examine it for any damage to the contacts, examine the slot it goes into and make sure that none of the little pin/contacts aren't bent (the pic below is a onoe of a pci slot but do the exam on the ram slot)

it may be because its not in the case. If there was a screw or peice of metal under the MB when you tried to turn it on it COULD cause a short circuit and may fry the the MB.Also it could be the power switch that plugs in to the motherboard if its backwards it migh tnot turn on. Good Luck!

It was in a case when I first tryed it! It is on the mainboard box and definatly no metal under the board.

I even found a 32 MB PC100 memory that I tryed it with and still no post

The monitor I am using is working properly on my other computer!

No Ide was persent the last time, and I have tryed it with and without a floppy!

I yhink I have a dead motherboard! Either it has been fryed or then it is the bios

Oh crap, i completely for got, make sure your Cmos battery is good, the other day i had the same prob and it turned out to be the cmos battery was completely dead

You could try another RAM.... I have had some bad experience with duron processors and PC100 RAMs.... They just worked really slow or didn't boot up at all try a PC133 RAM ..
And look in the bios setup.. maybe you've configured it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom