secondary Hard drive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monghead

Solid State Member
Ok so I am thinking about installing a secondary hard drive but the instrucyions keep talking about setting "Jumpers" for master and slave so that master is my original and bootable- What the heck are "Jumpers" and where are they?? Also is the operation straight forward?

jumpers are the little black plastic things on the back (usually on some gold pins) and above that on the top of the hard drive it will tell you which jumper to put it on for master slave or cable select, just make sure that the HDD with the OS on it is set to master and the other to slave, if you could post a pic of the HDD i can tell you exactly where to put the jumpers

pick up the drive. Look at the end that you plug your IDE cable into (the cable that goes from your drive to your mobo). Look just to the left of that. You should see 2 rows of pins 4 long. (5 on one row, top I think). You should then see one or more "jumpers" that plug into 2 of those pins. On the top of your drive you should have a little chart that tells you what pins to cover with the "Jumpers" to make the drive Master, Slave or Cable Select. If this is a second drive, then you want to go with Slave. So cover the pins that the chart tells you to, mount it in your case, plug in the IDE cable (assuming it's not SCSI) and plug in the power.

When you boot make sure it shows in your bios, (might have to make sure by going into the bios and switching that IDE slot to "Auto").

Get into windows and format it. All done.

Thanks for the help -I am going to attempt this tomorrow morning so I may be back on screaming for help LOL. I will print this off tho before I attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom