Does AGP have a future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMajor said:
I haven't even tried AGP yet. Lol.

lol Major, tell me to be quiet if I'm out of touch but I thought your computer died?...

Anyway, I don't think that AGP be obsolete until we see cards that really take advantage of PCI-E's bandwidth- In time for, say, Unreal 3.0... Watch this space.

rememberme said:
DVD is suppose to start fading out at the end of spring 2006... I think for those UV discs that are being developed?!!

Would you elaborate a little more on the UV discs? That sounds interesting. Also, will DVD's really start fading out in '06? I can't imagine that, considering how movies are still being transferred to DVD from VHS.

DoomUK said:
lol Major, tell me to be quiet if I'm out of touch but I thought your computer died?...

Anyway, I don't think that AGP be obsolete until we see cards that really take advantage of PCI-E's bandwidth- In time for, say, Unreal 3.0... Watch this space.

It works again. At least with 98. Havent tried XP yet. Need RAM.

No graphics chipset designer/manufacturer will ever release a native AGP graphics chipset as of now. Future graphics chipsets will all be native PCIe. However, video card manufacturers will most likely incorporate a bridge converting PCIe interface to AGP much like the HSI bridge that nVidia cards use. Remember, AGP still controls most of the market. It would mean declining business and customer relations if video card manufacturers were to abandon AGP also. It is much more cost effective to have a PCIe to AGP bridge integrated into the video card than to have native AGP chipsets along with native PCIe chipsets. You should be set for say a year or a year and 1/2 before I would switch to PCIe. However, if you are considering switching to Socket 939 or Socket T/LGA775, then by all means purchase PCIe.

Nah, I'm buying an AGP based board in March for my socket 939 AMD system, AGP still runs fine for me, as does my old 9800 Pro AGP card. Until we actually start to see games and other consumer software start needing more bandwidth than AGP can deliver, I don't think manufacturers will stop using it.

Next year, when my Pentium 4 machine gets replaced and I hopefully get to experience the power of dual cores and what not, then I will probably buy a PCIe board and GeForce 7 or ATi 11** or whatever is availible.

gaara said:
Until we actually start to see games and other consumer software start needing more bandwidth than AGP can deliver, I don't think manufacturers will stop using it.

Exactly.

That isn't the reason. Games depend on graphics cards. If graphics cards can deliver more, then the optimized games will be there. It is because of money. Graphics card manufacturers want to make money and that is their sole purpose for existence. Same with graphics chipset makers such as ATi and nVidia. It yields more money if graphics chipset makers have to make chipsets only on one interface; it will native PCIe from now on. It yields more money if graphics card manufacturers only have to incorporate a PCIe to AGP bridge on to the card; they don't have to order a card on R480 and R481 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom