Problem with new memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinu

Baseband Member
I just bought a new stick of 512mb pc3200 ram to add to my existing 256mb pc2100. When I start up the computer, it doesnt boot up with the new stick installed, but does so just fine with only the old stick in there. I talked to the guy that sold me the memory, and he sais that the 3200 is compatible with the 2100. But Im thinkin that somethins not right here.

Can anyone help me with this.

thanks

It's not an issue of 'compatibility' really in this sense.

The PC3200 would underclock to PC2100 Speeds.

Have you tested the PC3200 by itself to see if it works?

Perhaps your motherboard does not support PC3200 although on some machines even if the mobo doesnt support it, it would underclock it to speeds it could support.

Ok update. I put in just the 3200 stick, and it works fine. As soon as I put in the 2100 too, the mobo only sees the 2100 and not the other one. What could I do to make em both work?

I tried all these:

3200 alone...works fine
2100 alone...works fine
3200 and 2100...only the 2100 is seen

What else can I try?

Is your motherboard by any chance dual channel? You also have to determine the appropriate slots to put the memory in, some boards are picky as to what order the slots should be used.

Yes as I believe in must DC circumstances slots 1&3 and 2&3 activate Dual Channel.

2100 might be too slow for the 3200 match "down" with. Try to sell the 2100 one and buy another 3200 ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom