P4 3.6Ghz Lga775 Processor at 73c deg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend some watercooling, those temperatures are unreal for a proccesor running at stock speeds.

Thanks Gaara, That is a bit extreem for me. What could be the cause of this. Is it a faulty processor, or something else?

Sam.

I think those proccesors run pretty hot to begin with, and the damaged thermal pad may be allowing that proccesor to get a bit hotter than normal. Replacing it would be the first thing to do.

You could also try underclocking it, but that wouldn't really make much sense since you paid for a proccesor to run at a specific speed and there's no need to compensate.

Increasing case airflow would also help, but watercooling would be the most effective way of cooling it down, no doubt.

Samlinton, any fan placed in the front bottom of your case, no matter how big wont make really any difference. Those fans are hidden behind the hard drives and hard drive containers. All that air comes in cool from its speed, then hits the HD and HD container. Repidly decreasing the airs velocity, leaving basicly no results in temps.

Look at VIII post, he put a 92mm fan on the side panel, blowing air directly at his cpu/mobo, droping his temps maddly. Thats the best place to put Intake, the front bottom is the worse place to put Intake. Im only mentioning this so you dont get to high powered about that fan in front.

Thanks everyone,

Thinking about it, I am getting these temperture readings the minute I turn my computer on, cpu at 73c deg or 74c deg. The temperture that the mother board is 39c deg. Our house is pretty warm most of the time as we have a young baby.

Is it the fact that my computer is shutting down due to the temperture of the processor & that there is a safety cut off feature installed on the motherboard.? is this the cause or is there another reason ,like the mother board causing the problem?
At first I thought it was the motherboard but my attention is now focused on the processor.

I am afraid to turn this machine on now and keep working with it incase I do any damage to the componnents, If I haven't already done so already. I have probably destroyed the thermal pad that was on it while taking the heatsink/fan off to have a look. I can't see how I could have installed it more carefuly than I did, as I took my time and was careful on what I was doing. I don't think that this is a great design the way the heatsink/fan is attached to the processor.

Do you think that I need to replace the Processor or should I try taking of the thermal pad and reataching it with some thermal paste. I'm sorry if it sounds like that I am going on forever but after paying this amount of money I want to get it right and fix the problem. Wonder if they will take it back & replace it? If only I coould get in touch with their tech support!

Thanks again! keep the replies comming, all your information is of great value & help.

Sam......

Use some paste, it's a 6$ fix (for some artic silver 5, use only this paste) and will save you alot of trouble.

first thing to do, ground yourself by touching a piece of metal, usually ur PSU is a handy bit. Remove the heatsink and your CPU, then put ur CPU back in, and place the heatsink back on, and try it again. If this doesnt work, order some arctic silver 5, then when it arives, carefully scrape the thermal pad off with a flat piece of plastic, a credit card or a floppy disk both work. Then apply the thermal paste (a little bit goes a long way!) and try it

Thanks Guys! I have taken your advise and I am going to order the Arctic 5 silver paste! Hopefuly that this will work for the sake of my sanity! LOL!.....

I tried taking it off & replacing it again. Got message stating new processor installed! It stayes on longer now maybe 5 minutes before shutting off. I looked at the hardware monitor feature in the BIOS, CPU temperture started at 66c deg! & over the next 5 minutes it steadily climbed to 74c deg/ 75c deg then shut off! I have read that 75c deg is the very max that this CPU will operate under!
I'll get to ordering that paste as soon as I can! probably will take a few days as there is nowhere around here to get it from!

Thanks,
Sam...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom