Did my card go "Pop"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strine

Baseband Member
I was heading to my comp to look up some lifetime warranty-breaking GPU coolers, only to find my monitor staying blank. I look inside my side panel, and my graphic card's LED light and fans aren't on. Uh-oh.

They turn on for a seond or two when I boot up, and then turn off. I've packaged it up and sent it off on its RMA, and I'm 99% I haven't broken the warranty. I haven't tweaked the card through overclocking, or tweaked it physically at all. The card had run smoothly for the two months that I had it, and I did not touch it since installation, and has been seated snug in the closed case.

The 1% is what pains me, because as I wait until the end of next week, I constantly wonder if I may have done something wrong, if I'm going to get back my dead card saying it was my fault. Anyone else know what might've happened? For what it's worth, I also tested it out on multiple machines, with same results before I sent it in.

And if I do get my dead card back, what are my options? It's a BFG 6800GT factory OC. Is there any kind of repair I could go through? Because I can't spare another $535 (About 412 American) for a long, long time, and I'm stuck with my crappy ti4200.

Thanks.

Shoulda just said "I looked in my case and the fan on the card stopped spinning"

Pretty sure they'll replace it though.

I fried my motherboard doin a volt mod and it got replaced :p

Nubius said:
Shoulda just said "I looked in my case and the fan on the card stopped spinning"

Pretty sure they'll replace it though.

I fried my motherboard doin a volt mod and it got replaced :p

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. I'm somewhat troubled mainly because these are symptoms of hardware becoming damaged by conducting an unwelcome electric charge. And BFG just told me that they will only send it back to me if it is in an out of the ordinary state.

if it has failed within the warranty period, demand a replacement and if they feel hesitant, mention the "department of fair trading" and that should speed up the operations a bit.

waynejkruse10 said:
if it has failed within the warranty period, demand a replacement and if they feel hesitant, mention the "department of fair trading" and that should speed up the operations a bit.

Again, thank you. I have never spent more money on anything in my life (I'm 16), and sadly, it worries the crap out of me.

dude my mobo was only $75 and it worried the hell out of me so your concern is normal lol.

Nubius said:
dude my mobo was only $75 and it worried the hell out of me so your concern is normal lol.

Moreso that I travelled 5 hours to get to the States to buy it at Best Buy. Godamn customs at christmas, my big truck kept me waiting two hours. Return trip was easy... but the worst part is that I live in Canada. I send it in and wait 9-11 days, and what's even worse, I think I put a slightly flawed address on the RMA (I got one number in my address wrong).

But, I've quenched my worry. I've been through worse... I bent like 9 pins on my processor because I was trying to remove the heatsink, which clearly needed more heating, so it tore the processor out of the socket. I tried to put it back, but I bent like 3 rows of pins and I bent 9 individual pins in concerning directions. A pocket knife came in handy. I punched a hole in the wall because I thought I ruined my processor, but it still works today. A week later, my card goes pop. Nothing out of the ordinary for me, but the stress builds as questions arise over a 9-11 day period.

And what does RMA stand for? Return Manufacturer Assesment?

If a broken pc component is not your fault (in this case it looks that way) dont let the companies screw you around.

waynejkruse10 said:

Best advice you will get right there. Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom