Hard Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMnz

Solid State Member
I have a Compaq Presario, about a year and a half old. It's 2.7 GHz, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB HD, and so on...

My question is this - I added a second HD about a year ago, and it worked great until I removed it about 3 months ago for a stupid reason. I went to install it again, but now it isn't recognized at all by the computer.

I'm running Windows XP btw.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's set to 'slave' and the Main one is set to 'master' just as the first time I did it.

- Thanks in advance

Make sure all of the power supply cables are in tightly, make sure the IDE cables are in tight.

Also make sure the Hard drive is configured in the BIOS.
Just to be sure take the HD out and look at the Jumper settings.

Bios says 2 HDs exist

is there something i have to do in bios ??

edit: Windows notices two HDs as well but wont let me access the second one...

There is no icon or proof of existence, but when I go into hardware properties it names two Hard Drives in locations '1' and '0', and when I unplug the HD I want to install the '1' location disapears, so I know it knows that something exists.

Perhaps I need to tell Windows to do something in order to see it ??

if windows recognizess it, u can most likely just go to /controle pannel/administrative tools/comp manager/disk manager/select the drive u wont, and assine it a new dive letter to appear in my computer.

Did you change the jumper settings while you had it removed? Some hard drives have different jumper settings when it is a "slave on ide 1" for instance My hard drive has a setting for "forced recognition on IDE1 as slave" or something similar, hope this helps, good luck

Got it working using the Disk Manager, Thanks Everyone... it's greatly appreciated !

:) This Forum is the Best !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom