Suddenly monitor goes blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratsrolls

Solid State Member
Hey all
I just built a new machine this morning and everything went swell. I installed windows and everything fine. My specs are
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Abit AV8
Western Digital 7200RPM 8mb Buffer
128mb 9600xt (made by ATi)
2X 512mb Crucial Ram PC3200
460W Enermax PSU 33A@+12V

I installed C4.12 but something went corrupted and I got error messages. I uninstalled it and installed C5.1. Every was good at first. I left the computer on for an hour or so and then came down and surfed the web a little and suddenly my monitor shows no activity, but my hard drive is working and all the fans are still spinning so its just the monitor.

I thought it was corrupted video card drivers, so I reformatted and installed Windows XP again. I decided to test it out and installed Far Cry. And once I got into the main menu the monitor went out again.

I tried reseating the card, but no luck. I am preatty sure the card is working as I pulled it from my previous system were it worked flawlessly. Also, before I reformatted, it was running at 28C so I don't think heat is an issue.. I am doubting the card is at fault here but any suggestions??

is it a new card? Sounds like the card is dying or just doesn't want to function properly.

Or if some ATI advocate can suggest to you new drivers or something, because my FX 5700 did that with bad drivers, but since you've tried a different couple sets of drivers already, and I don't know about ATI all that much, I'd wait to see if someone could suggest better ones.

I bought the card in November of 2004 and it was working up to two days ago in my older computer. I have tried C5.1 and no drivers what so ever (the 4.12C were currupted..). Where can I download older ATI drivers to test it out?

Ok, heres the trippy part, I installed my old 32mb tnt2 Pro and it ran with no problems. Even gave it the 3dmarks01 test and it went through the whole thing fine. Is it my card then?? Maybe my PSU?? but my PSU should be plenty to power all this right?

well wattage isn't everything. You gotta look at your +12v, +5v, and +3.3v rail ratings on the side of the PSU too.

Shouldn't be a power issue though, but perhaps it is infact the card

hmm.. well i put in the 9600xt again and installed my chipset drivers and the catylst 5.1 drivers for my 9600xt and this time when i try and run the 3dmarks01se it doesn't make the screen go blank :D.. but it still won't run it and whatever "vpu recover" kicks in and it goes back to windows..

anyone know what this vpu recover is and does it mean my card is gone or theres just some compatability issues or whatever?

I think it's broken, we usually have a solution here, but this time the solution is replacing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom