Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelUser101

In Runtime
Hey, my mom and i wanted to know how to overclock, if its dangrous, if it costs money, and if its hard...post me back:p

Overclocking is dangerous to a certain point, what I mean is - if you are overclocking a peice of hardware too high it could cause serious/permanent damage to that peice of hardware which can termanate the warranty on that peice of hardware you have/if you have any.

Cost? No. There isn't any cost in overclocking but, there will be cost if you overclock too high and damage that peice of hardware though :).

Well it all depends what you are overclocking wether it is hard or not. I mean - overclocking your Graphic's card can be done in a-few simple steps in windows thats how simple it is to overclock your GPU. Say If you wanted to overclock your CPU it is a more difficult process, by that I mean - You have to go into your BIOS Settings and change afew things around, if you don't know what is what, it can be very hard. On the other hand - there is software out now which you can overclock your CPU in windows?.

Overclocking is based on your own personal decision. Overclocking is dangerous depending on the other components you have and if you don't know where to stop.

For example, I have a Pentium 4 520 on an Abit AA8-Duramax. I started to overclock and hit 3.73 GHz on the stock heatsink. I was very content cause the processor only cost me $159 and here this thing is whooping a $1000 processor. I knew I had to stop some time. I pushed it all the way to 4.2 GHz and then stopped overclocking. Then I pulled it back down to 3.73 GHz cause it was really perfect there and I didn't have to worry that the extra 500 MHz boost would burn the proc.

If you overclock you need to follow certain steps first.
1. Always overclock through the BIOS because your other files won't be corrupted.
2. Make sure your motherboard has a PCI/AGP lock or a PCI/PCIe lock. If it doesn't, then it wouldn't be good for you to overclock since other components such as drives that are tied directly to the PCI/AGP bus will be damaged.
3. Make sure you have good quality RAM.
4. Always loosen memory timings and then tigthen after overclocking.

Read this and figure out this stuff about your computer. Post back here and then I'll post what you should do about ocing.

In my opinion, as long as the AGP and PCI slots are locked and the CPU remains at stock voltage, there is not very much risk involved with overclocking apart from instability, and possibly frying another part, such as memory or motherboard, but that's really unlikely.

If you don't know much about how computers work and are not good with troubleshooting them I would advise against it, you may need to reset the CMOS if your system becomes unstable.

Well i have a Celeron 2.40 Ghz cpu. I was just wondering if a little boost would do anything or just hurt me in the long run.

I never heard of mom and son OC'ers lol. Make sure you read the link Nubius posted. Also make sure you put alot of thought in what cooling system you want. Rather its Air Cooling or Liquid Cooling. Alot of people think Air Cooling is pretty weak, but if you know what your doing. You can really drop those temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom