Someone PLEASE expain AMDs to me??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the AMD(3200 for example) is 2.2 GHz, BUT that number doesn't really mean much because its so efficant that its the equivilent of a 3.2GHz P4, am I correct?
Yeah in essence. If you're used to Intel numbers that's the best way to view it.

http://www.27thavenue.com/images/OCSS3.jpg

That's a bench of my AMD XP-Mobile at 2.7GHz as you can see it gives that 3.8GHz Intel a run for it's money.

Mind you the new AMD64 bit CPU's at 2.2GHz would be equivelant to higher Intels like DJ-Chris is saying, those are like 3400+ and whatnot. There are 2800+ and 3000+ AMD64's and they are like 1.8GHz and whatnot.

Sometimes I tend to let my windows build up, and let things run at the same time, will the AMD be slow for things like this?
Nah not at all, I'm talking like really CPU intensive apps not just windows open ;)

Don't say that you're 'stupid' though, everyone will seem stupid when they don't know something.

My first post here was just last august and I didn't know how to buy a PSU or even how people hooked up multiple fans and whatnot, we all gotta start somewhere.

you learn something new everyday! I didnt even know this and ive been a diehard AMD fan since my first pc build

Well, I called around and got some prices. I'm looking at a 939 socket, I can get a 3200 AMD64 939 and an Asus motherboard for aruond 500 (CAD taxes in). or via the internet a 3000 AMD 64 939, with an MSI motherboard for around 430 (CAD taxes in and shipped).

Or maybe I could go the cheaper root and get a 754 socket. Which would be better? I'm guessing the 939 would be the replacement for the 754 soon.

turtile said:
The 3200+ means that it can get to speeds of a 3200Mhtz P4 CPU.
AMD uses better architecture which speeds up the low amount of htz.

Better you say? :p.. Different is more like it. After all, anyone can shorten and lengthen the pipelines. They are good for different applications. Nothing is clearly "better" in this world. Depends on what you want out of the system.

none67,

From what I have seen I have to say that the 939s will replace the 754s sooner or later. The 754 line has stalled, while the 939 line keeps expanding. So, unless you just want cheaper and very little expandability, go with the 939.

Where have you looked online? Try NewEgg (duh) first. You can also hit http://shopper.cnet.com/ for online comparison shopping. Of course, I've never heard of many of the places it pulls up...

So I take it you are from Canada? I can help you price out parts and get what's best for your needs, and your wallet. ;)

Just to clear a few things up though...

Socket 754 is pretty much dead, they are still retailing 754 and 940 proccesors, but what you see on the market now is all you are ever going to see. Socket 939 has replaced both of them and is the only socket that the Athlon 64 series will be expanded on.

The difference between 745 and 939 isn't very big. 754 has a 1600mhz HTT whereas the 939 has a 2000mhz. Also, 754 does not support dual channel memory configurations.

The only other big difference is the variety of cores. Socket 754 only uses 130nm cores, whereas socket 939 uses both 130nm and 90nm cores. Basically, 90nm cores will run cooler than 130nm cores.

And newegg still doesn't ship anywhere besides the United State. :(

There is a difference between AMD64 and Netburst (Intel) architectures.

AMD64 uses short, fat pipelines that don't allow the speed to be hiked as fast as Intel. However, since the pipelines are short and fat, they allow for more instructions to be completed per clock cycle. The higher IPC makes up for the lack of high clock speed. That is why an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 GHz) performs equally to the Intel Pentium 4 530 (3.0 GHz).

Netburst uses long, narrow pipelines. This allows Intel to hike up clock speeds w/o needing a die shrink very frequently. Intel is essentially sacrificing IPC to get higher clock speed which is opposite to what AMD is doing. Basically, Netburst allows for low IPCs, but higher clock speeds which somewhat evens out. That is why an Intel Pentium 4 530 (3.0 GHz) performs equally to an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 GHz).

However, it doesn't stop here. Despite the performance being equal for both companies, AMD has its advantage and Intel has its own.

AMD is better for gaming and Intel is purely better for encoding or lets say, your standard power apps like Maya or 3ds Max 7 or what not.

You can argue it both ways. AMD doesn't do very badly on the things Intel is excellent at; in fact AMD loses by a small percentage. Intel doesn't do very badly at the things AMD is excellent at; in fact, Intel only loses by a small percentage.

It always comes down to usage, budget, how much you are willing to fight for a small performance advantage, and your personal preference.

Microsoft is spending $60 billion dollars on putting the AMD64 opterons in their servers world wide ;)

But yeah, 754 IS still being used, because they are keeping the 64 mobiles on that socket, however I hope in the future they will move the mobiles to socket 939 for things such as dual channel capabilities, faster frequencies, things of that nature.

Likes been said I suggest you go the Socket 939 route as the mobo will last you a deal longer than socket 754

Great, I just got off work and its really nice to see all the posts here, it really is helpful!

Its kind of like the runners on an intake manifold... the smaller the prots the more torque, the bigger the ports the more HP (which seels cars)

Hmm... its interesting, I guess the whole higher the number thing is Intels way of selling stuff, it just got me. I would have never got an AMD if I thought it was only running at 2 GHz. And with 60 billion dollars being trusted with AMD products that sure does say alot about quality and preformance.

I am in Canada, so it seems that I am quite limited with where i buy my stuff, ebay and localy seems to be the only real option, and with ebay duty hurts, it hurts bad.

Looks like AMD is probably my better choice, I'm going to start seriously looking into finding one at a decent price.

Ok, now that I got that down. Can someone explain to me what dual channel DDR ram is?? haha

Thanks

I guess the whole higher the number thing is Intels way of selling stuff,
Yup I've been sayin this for a while now. They flash their big numbers around purely for marketing. It's understanding what those numbers mean is how you really shop for your CPU.

But yeah regarding that 60 billion, as the headline read "When microsoft invests $60 billion dollars, they don't buy just ANY CPU" lol

When it says 'Dual DDR' it means that those two sticks that are in the kit have been guaranteed to run in dual channel mode which has to be supported by the mobo and CPU.

Dual channel gives you anywhere from 5-20% gain in performance.

RAM is not 'dual channel' per se, but rather like I said, have already been tested in a dual channel capable setup to insure when you get those sticks they work in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom