Motherboard/RAM problem - Memory detection test

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediumburn

Beta member
A friend built a computer for me a year ago that's been working fine up until now. I had it off for a few days while I was away, and I came back, turned it on, and now it just beeps at me and does nothing. The monitor remains on stand-by while the computer beeps, and I can only turn it off by shutting off the surge protector.

Unfortunately I know little about computer hardware, and the friend who built it for me lives several hours away, so I'm hoping people here can offer some insight. The motherboard is an MSI K7N2 Delta, and the D-Bracket 2 was installed so I get the diagnostic LEDs on the back. The pattern of red-green lights shows that the problem is with the "Memory Detection Test." I looked on the MSI site, and the beeping pattern fit in the "RAM problem" category. So it seems that is indeed the problem area.

I tried switching the sticks around (I have two 512MB sticks, one in DDR1 and the other in DDR3) in various patterns and no luck. Tried one at a time, tried them in different slots, nothing.

Thoughts? Comments? Does it seem more likely to be a problem with the RAM or with the board? Thanks.

thats odd for the system just to stop working like that.
try cleaning the contacts on your ram and ram slots and then reseat the DIMMS applying equal pressure from both corners untill the clips snap into place. i sometimes wigge the ram a slight bit from side to side to ensure a good connection, but be careful, only wiggle it slightly or you could damage the dimm or the dimm slots.

This happened to me when I installed new ram. You're going to want to make sure that the GPU and RAM are properly seated.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was gone for the week. Yes, this RAM has been working fine in my computer for a little over a year and I didn't do anything that should've changed that. I already reseated both RAM sticks and tried them in different slots to no avail. Someone also suggested that I reset the CMOS. What would that do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom