RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbrown

Solid State Member
I have 2 512MB DDR400 boards of RAM. My problem is, is that when I install both of them on my Gigabyte motherboard, I only get part way through Windows loading when the computer restarts itself.
However, when I install each board individually, Windows loads fine.

I've also run Memtest, and each board passes the test fine when inserted on their own, but when I put them both in together, they fail the tests.

Windows also loads fine when other boards are added as well as the two above.

I've sucessfully loaded windows on another computer with the two boards above, no problems.

Is this an indication of a possible motherboard hardware problem?

Thanks for any help.

-Phil

Maybe a software issue on the mobo? Does that board run dual channel? Or are you just going for standard 1024MB RAM?

Have you tried changing the slot configuration? If you have 3 slots, have you tried 1&3 then 2&3 to see if one doesn't error?

If you have dual channel, they perhaps arent liking each other, and if it was a kit I'd RMA it.

If your board doesnt have dual channel, then it could be a fault slot.

Have you tried the sticks by themselves in each slot to see if one gives you errors?

Yes, the motherboard does support dual channel. Have tried the sticks individually in all slots with no problems. Also tried different combinations with two sticks (1&3 and 2&4 - both failed).

If I put the sticks in 1&2, the dual channel is disabled. I'm assuming doing this will tell me whether or not it is a problem with the sticks in dual mode, ie if they function OK in 1&2 (single channel), then it's likely to be a problem with the sticks in dual mode.

-Phil

ie if they function OK in 1&2 (single channel), then it's likely to be a problem with the sticks in dual mode.
Yeah I'd say that's a logical assumption. So if you recently bought them I'd RMA them and tell them they do not want to operate in dual channel like they should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom