CPU FSB different from MOBO specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnu

Solid State Member
Recently, my old CPU, an AthlonXP 2100 fried on me, and I'm looking into buying a new one. I have a GA-7DX+ motherboard, and the specs indicate support for Athlon/Duron processors up to 233 FSB. It's a socket A board.

I'm looking at upgrading my processor to the AMD Sempron 2800, which is also socket A, but has a 333 FSB. Would flashing the BIOS let me use the processor in this system board? If not, what would happen if I were just to slap in the processor anyways?

there are no processor that use a 233mhz fsb stock that I know of. the specs for the GA-7DX state it supports CPU's at a max of 200mhz fsb. I wouldn't count on being able to use that sempron with your 7dx. I think you should get a new motherboard. the XP 2100+ uses a 266mhz fsb, so you probably had it's fsb underclocked to 200mhz and wasn't aware of it. how did it fry? if it was an electrical surge you might have more parts damaged other than your CPU

Yeah, 266 is right. I think the 7DX+ might support the 2100 up to it's 266, but I'm not sure.

I have a Volcano 9+ cooler, and if you have it too, you'll notice how flimsy the wiring is connecting the fan to the speed controller. I don't know when it happened, but one of the wires was severed, and (I didn't notice until too late) the CPU fan wasn't powered, while the computer was on. So after that, my computer can boot up, but cannot load Windows...

But instead of getting that, I've decided to go for the Athlon 64 now, and get a new Mobo. I think I'm going to get the Shuttle XPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom