Question about partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
I have that P1 Dell Optiplex, and the HD is partitioned. I don't know how to un partition it. Everytime i try to download anything, it tells me i'm out of space. I"M NOT! it's just that the active partition IS full! How do I either change my active partition, or un partition the entire HD????

how big is the HD? theres this program called partition magic 8 which allows you to partition you HD within windows. but generally you can repartition by reformatting the entire HD and reinstall...but this is not practical.

befor you repartition...backup all data....use the fdisk command...whats the OS in ur dell?

you are getting these error messages because each drive must have a certain percentage of free space available or performance will degrade. i think the minimum free space required by windows is 15%-20%. i would only use partition magic to increase the operating system partition as a last resort. i have had that program corrupt my operating system many times. try deleting unneeded programs and files first. i'd try to get as much space free as possible.

and if that doesn't work you can have partition magic resize the drive that your operating system is installed on. it works like magic

you should be able to tell it in the windows download dialog box what drive letter (partition or physical drive) you want it to D/L to, if youre trying to D/L it to My Documents, it will put it on the main drive

Okay, first off... The HD size is 3.2GB and the OS is Win98. Um, I don't really care about saving the data on it. If I wan't it back, I can re-install it no problem. But it just angers me that I can't install/save anything on the main drive! I'll look into that magic thing...
Thanks for the help!

Yup, Bell is right. Just do a fresh format. just once it boots to the command promt, or is it still DOS back for Win95? o well, ya and type FDISK on the promt and hit enter, folow the directions and delete all partitions and have one full sized one.

then install windows on it and what not.

i dont say i added anything, but ya this was the first acual post that i found i could talk about and know what iwas talking about since i joined this forum hehe. but it wont be the lat! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom