SATA Power connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotec

Fully Optimized
This is my first experience dealing with SATA drives. My PSU only has one SATA power connector, but I am installing 2 drives. The drives have legacy (4 pin) power connectors as well. Should I use the one sata power connector on one drive and the 4 pin on the other? Or use the 4 pin on both?

Stupid question I just wanted to make sure it doesnt matter mixing the power connectors like that. Or if there are any differences between using one power source or the other. Also, is it wierd that my psu only has one?

You can use either a SATA power connector OR the 4pin molex connector, not both though.

EDIT: And I mean when plugging power to the hard drive. You could power one with the SATA and one with the 4pin, or both with the 4pin, but in one drive, don't use both the SATA power AND the 4pin in one drive or you'll fry it

Oh yeah and concerning the PSU as 'weird' I dont know. Mine only has one cord, but that one cord has two SATA power connectors, one in the middle, one at the end, but I just use a normal 4pin to power my SATA drive as it's easier for cable management to just put the SATA power away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom