3-D Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you keep your 9600, try to flash it to a pro or something.

If that works, you can save up for a 6800GT. If it doesnt work, but a 6600GT.

My friend just spent 150 bucks on a fx 5700 , and let me tell you , he hates it , its a complete dog .
lol I paid $150 like....almost a year ago for this card. It does well, but I didn't know about computers like I do now, otherwise I woulda gone the ATI route during that period.

Keaton - That card you posted is PCI-Express, pretty sure he's going AGP here.

But yeah the 6600GT is proving itself to be an awesome contender in the midrange selection.

I suggest eVGA brand.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-220&depa=1

EDIT: Oh yeah and eVGA offers their Step-up program. Within 90 days of purchase you can step up to the 6800GT and pay the difference if you so choose to. Pretty nice little deal IMO

wtf?!?! PCI-E cards are cheaper than AGP 8x.
that makes no sense (new technology is usually more money than old)

EVGA makes good cards, that card has ddr3 so it will not heat up as much and will probably overclock well.

AGP require an PCI-E to AGP bridge which costs too much, that's why AGP is more expensive.

DJ-CHRIS said:
AGP require an PCI-E to AGP bridge which costs too much, that's why AGP is more expensive.

so nvidia and ati make their cores pci-e from the getgo now, so they need a bridge for it to work in an agp slot. is that how it works?

Joeisalsocool said:
I would advise selling your 9600 on ebay, and use that money to get a 6800. That would be the best thing to do.

The most I would get for it if I was lucky is $30. It is a no name brand card. Its a Jetway (never heard of them)

Also how would I flash my card? Im not familar with flashing bios to AGP cards........

wtf?!?! PCI-E cards are cheaper than AGP 8x.
that makes no sense (new technology is usually more money than old)
Yeah I know, a good $40 cheaper in some instances...pisses me off too =/

so nvidia and ati make their cores pci-e from the getgo now, so they need a bridge for it to work in an agp slot. is that how it works?
Yeah thats pretty much it. The core is infact PCI-E and the reason you see the AGP heatsink all kinked to one side and half covering some of the RAM and not on the PCI-E is purely for that little bridge chip which is basically another little processor that the heatsink fits on to stay cool.

That pisses me off as well though because if you want to put on good RAMsinks you're kind of screwed on the AGP version.

now I see how it works, cool.

I really wish I had NOT bought a PNY fx5900xt during the summer. I could have sweated it out and waited for a 6 series. I really wished I had. that 6600 gt is appealing, but I just bought a notebook. and you all know what that means. no more spending money on computer stuff for like 3 months lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom