going to build a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunit001

Baseband Member
I want to build my on PC but ive never done it before, i have made upgrades and stuff on my other computers. i do want this case though:

ASUS case

I want something good for gaming and sound. nothing extremly expensive. any suggestions. most likely want an amd because thats what everyone else says is better, and audigy 2 platinum sound card. what else would be good?

then after i put it all together, what do i do to install everything, such as windows and stuff??

What's your budget?

Do you really like that case? I think it looks horrible, looks like its going to eat you!

Cunit001, i think that case is raw. I was just talking about that case with some people in another thread. Cunit001, its very hard to understand witch processors are better, AMD/Intel. Neither are better, since they are built different they handle variant task better/worse.

Some people will claim AMD is better, vice versa. You will also see people claim that AMD is better for gaming, but Intel is for everything else. Intels are ideal for Encoding and 3D Rendering, while AMD are idea for Gaming. All the other benchmarks AMD and Intel are usually neck to neck.

So, its really about the task you will be performing on your computer. Thats how you decide what processor would be better. Since you are a gamer, AMD is the way to go.

But before we can really help you, we need to know your budget. Once you tell us your budget, we will be more then happy to help you.

I think saying "AMD for gaming, Intel for everything Else" is a little broad.

AMDs are indeed good for gaming due to their short skinny pipes compared to Intels long fat ones.

I like AMD because they aren't marketing whores, they are WAY smaller than Intel (just read something about Intel building a new factory that will have more employees than AMD's whole employee list in every factor lol) and they get as much out per clock as possible.

When a 2.5GHz AMD can give a 4GHz Intel a run for it's money, you know AMD is making every clock count.

Whether it's true that they do multitasking better, I'm not sure, I think they do, but I couldn't honestly tell you why that is unless it's purely the fact more info can go through those bigger pipes while AMD can crunch the numbers very quickly which is useful in heavy gaming.

I don't know....either way you go though, Top end vs Top end, either will smoke.

o. actually i would be doing some video editing also. no set budget yet, but im looking to spend around 1800 or so, maybe more

here are some suggestion for intel:
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - $223
Seagate 200GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive-$119
AOpen nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card-$408
ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" -$180
CORSAIR XMS Xtreme 1GB-$247
Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive -$125
GRAND TOTAL OF:$1426.16 (including tax and shipping)

Still go with an AMD, you will appreciate it while gaming. A Few extra seconds on some rendering doesnt matter really.

Seconds.....Seconds! funny, if you are rendering an animation in 3Ds max it will take you a couple hours.

My cousin has an Amd 2600XP i have a 2.6GHZ intel P4, he has a better gaming pc, his processor is better for gaming i agree.

When he was rendering his PC rendered something in 3 hours my pc will render it in 2 hours maybe faster.

But i would suggest geting an AMD, but if you are gonna do some serious video editing then get a P4.

This is what i recomend getting (maybe wrong but hey..)

And i would get some pc3500 hyperx ram, giga byte mobo, amd athlon 64 3700 , gigabyte geforce 6800 gt vid card, Thermaltake soprano case, 200GB seagate hdd. All comes out about 1500$

He doesn't need hyperX ram unless he's OC'ing, otherwise those tighter timings dont make that big of a difference compared to the dent in your wallet it makes.

check out my post here, this is just about what you are looking for:
http://www.techist.com/showthre...&threadid=41790

all you need for that is a case, monitor, and prefirals and a harddrive.

For the HD, i suggest any SATA (though a pain to set up, the performance is well worth it) hard drive.
you can choose what size you want it, i posted a link to a 7200RPM 160gb HD. 80gb is enough for me, but it depends on what you use it for. Since you do some video editing, you should get a bit larger harddrive. Its up to you really.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-144-322&depa=1

Also, pick up a SB audigy or if you want to spend a bit more cash, a SBA 2. I find the SBA 1 to work just find for me, and i cant really tell the difference. I think you need high end speakers to take full advantage of the SBA 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom