new vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblaze725

In Runtime
I just bought a leadtek 6800gt for my pc and was wondering if there was any reason to flash it with the ultra bios. It can be easily overclocked past ultra speeds as is from what I hear so is there any reason to get the bios? If so what differences would the ultra bios make. Also I've heard coolbits recommended for overclocking this card, but are there ay better programs or should I go with that one. Also I would love to hear from anyone else with this card or any other tips. Thanks.

Jblaze725, i would think if you flashed it. Then it would be a little easier to OC it to Ultra speeds. So i say go with it.

I don't have the card yet it's shipping tomorrow from newegg, I guess I'll try overclocking both with the gt bios and then with the ultra bios and see if i see one being better than the other. Is there any other effect the bios would have other than oc limits or is that it?

RivaTuner is another good OC'ing program. A little more indepth actually, as it'll show you a nice graph of your overclock going up with a few other system settings.

As far as the BIOS goes I honestly have no idea.

It's kinda weird though, you can simply just get the BIOS made for the Ultra and flash the GT with it or what? I assume it's not like a comp BIOS and when you flash it with the wrong version it's useless....guess not huh?

From what I've gathered the only benefits of flashing it to Ultra is the fact it'll actually be seen as an Ultra.

Just like a motherboard, a bad flash renders the card useless (at least in the worst scenario). I believe you can get something like BIOS Savior chip for certain cards.

I'd say if you can overclock it as a GT and it suits your needs don't risk the flash. Otherwise go for it, or if you just want it as an Ultra...

Well I mean I know a bad vid card flash will results in a useless card, but I mean specifically in the case of 6800GT and 6800Ultra...you just go to your card manufacturers website and choose the Ultra BIOS and ready to go or somethin?

If all the flash does is allow it to be seen as an ultra then I could care less. I just wanted to know if it would allow more performance out of it I don't care what the computer thinks it is. In that case screw the flash. Thanks. I'll also probably try both rivatuner and coolbits and see which I do better with unless someone thinks one is absolutely better than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom