Laptop: Celeron vs Athlon

Status
Not open for further replies.

toad

Beta member
I am considering two laptops. The first is a Dell Inspirion 1000 2.2 GHz 400 MHz FSB with 256 MB DDR SDRAM at 266 MHz FSB.

The Second is an Averatec 3220H1 Athlon XP 2200 1.6 GHz 333 MHz FSB with 256 MB DDR RAM at 333 MHz FSB.

I will be using the laptop for Microsoft Office applications and for software development using Visual Studios .NET 2003 (VB, ASP, SQL Server mostly). No gaming and no graphic intense stuff.

Which of these two laptops would serve me better with what I'm wanting to do?

Thanks

The Athlon will smoke the hell out of a celeron. I dont know if it would make much diferance but do you know if its a celeron D ? From what iv read they are fairly improved over the older versions. To bad ya cant find one with the sempron cpu , they seem to be great cpu' accourding to the benchmarks.

Are you wanting to use this laptop on battery power a lot, or leave it plugged in most of the time?

Just curious, because these both come with the mobile processors, for lower power consumption.

The dell has a 14.1 inch screen, the Averatec has a 12.1 inch screen.

On the flipside, the Averatec has the better processor,....

I guess it is whatever you want more,...larger screen, or faster CPU.

athlon xp 2200+ has a clock speed of 1.8ghz by the way. Id get the athlon xp, celerons are big wastes of money

Actually, a Celeron will generally use less voltage and run cooler than the Athlon, which means it's a much better choice if you want extended battery life and lower temperatures.

The Athlon will outperform the Celeron anyday though.

sempron=celeron D if you look at the L2 cache, it is the same for both. I was originally going for a cheap notebook ($600-$700) but I would up buying an ACER travel mate 4000lci simply because it had a pentium M 710, which is supposed to give me 5 hours of battery life (It shipped on Tuesday) and it is only 6.4lbs, the dell is probably more. the averatecs are nice, but I couldn't justify the price for a 12.1 inch screen ( i am getting a 15inch)

if your only choice is between those two, go with the athlon, it kills the celeron. the celeron in the dell has 256kb of cache, the amd has 512.

from what i have read, the pentium M seems to be supreme in terms of battery life though, and still gets great performance. I was looking at celeron M's but they got less than half the battery life sometimes.

My vote goes for the averatec. I have the older model of yours with a slightly slower processor.

Great 3+ hour battery life, and it's liteweight. It may not be the fastest, but i have NEVER had a crash on mine, and it gets hours of use per day.

Celeron d = Sempron ?? lol how can you compare the 2 ? Semprons blow the celeron d away in the shown benchmarks , and in those same benchmarks the Sempron is faster then the xp cpu line . Isnt the Sempron a Athlon 64 with the 64 bit disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom