PC Shuts down after 30sec of boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auman

Baseband Member
Hello, I just built a new PC and every time I go to boot it up to get into my BIOS, etc, because I want to install windows. But everytime I boot it up, it only lasts about 30sec, then the time goes down every time I boot it up after that. I don't know what could be causing this, the only thing I could think of would be the processor over heating, but I have a HSF so it shouldn't do that. Anyways, my PC specs are down below, please get back to me with any help, thanks.

Specs:

Broadway case: 500W PSU w/ 2x 80mm fans 1x 120mm fan and airduct.
Pentium 4 3.0GHz socket: LGA775
Albatron motherboard with 800FSB
nVidia XFX GeForce 6600 256MB
1.5 GB of RAM
WD Cavalier 200GB HDD

Thanks.
Auman

What is the core of your processor? Prescott, or Northwood. Prescott runs hotter than the Northwood cores. What is your HSF? Is it stock, or did you buy a separate one? If it is stock, then it may not be able to cool the cpu down fast enough. I dunno about this, but what about your PSU? Will 500W power all of that stuff in your comp?

It's a prescott, and the HSF was stock, it came packaged with my processor. And 500W should be more than enough to power all I have. I have a friend that is running on I think a 400W and his PC has better hardware than mine does.

Ok, so scratch the PSU. My best guess is that the HSF isn't providing enough airflow. That is a pretty fast processor.

When you first boot, get into the BIOS and get the CPU temp right away,..see if you can tell that it is climbing up there at a rapid rate.

You could also check to make sure the heat sink fan is going. The stock heat sinks are usually reliable just not brilliant.

I have just built a PC and I have the exact same problem! I am just about to go nuts over this issue! I am using a Asus P5GD2deluxe MB, Intel P4 3.6G processor, MSI NX6600GT Graphic card, Maxtor 200G SATA hard disk. Processor heatsink & Fan came with the processor. I get a message during Post/Boot up stating Overclocking Failure! Enter Setup! I persume the processor is running too fast or heating up! and the safety feature is shutting down the computer. I looked up Asus web site and I think I have to update my Bios with a down load but they state there is a risk involved doing this especially warning against turning power off during flashing the Bios! I too need help! I spent a hell of a lot of money with this crap just to find it doesn't work properly, before I bought the MB, it stated that it supported P4 3.6 and up processors! How the hell do they expect novices and people how don't have a engineering degree to sort this out! I can't even get support from Asus as their Server is always too busy to get connected or it doesn't work! What should I do.
Any more Ides to the above?
thanks Sam.

I forgot to mention that my system stays on for about 30 to 40 seconds before shuting down. I can get into Bios but before I get a chance to have a proper look at things the computer shuts down. How can we update Bios from a floppy disk at start up. And how will it work if the stupid thing keeps turning off in such a short space of time! Auman let me know how you get on with yours. My e-mail is sam@g-linton.freeserve.co.uk. There is no way I can see how I'll ever get windows onto this piece of crap! and get it going.

Sam

I would try booting the PC with only one stick of RAM in it and enure the heat sink is properly connected and the fan is spinning. If that doesnt do it start plucking items off the board one by one so all you have is the needed items to make the machine bootable i.e. the power supply to the mobo power wire to the mobo, heat sink fant and thats it! see if it will stay on that way and if it does you know something along the line is causing the problem.

Well I did boot my PC with only one stick of RAM, and I took my HSF off and put it back on tightly, and plugged it back in, and I also tried it without my sound card in, and I still get the problem.

Auman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom