GeCube 9800 Pro slowly fried my AGP slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamM

Beta member
Goddamn... this is very frustrating!

Can you guys help??

I bought a GeCube 9800 eXtreme about two months ago now. At first, it ran sweet. HL2 was pretty good at high quality, so was D3. Then I started having problems about a few days or a week later. The comp reset itself whilst playing HL2 (and this was about five minutes after turning the comp on mind you, so heat wasn't an issue). Far Cry did the same thing a few times. Then HL2 seriously f*cked up - it got coloured lines and blocks appearing on the display, and then the VPU recover thing popped up, saying it had gone to software rendering.

I was like... UH OH. So i took the card back, and splashed down some more cash, and got the next one up, the GeCube 9800 pro.

Popped it in. Things continued to get WORSE. HL2 reset more reguarly, Far Cry even more so. D3 always ran sweet tho (weirdly enuf).

I got some graphical corruption in Windows a little bit. Lines running thru the display a little bit. Words in the wrong spot.

Then one day the display just went nuts. Coloured blocks flashing, lines thru the display. Popped the old 9200se back in. Same shit. No matter if i rebooted, or not.

Took the pc back to the shop. MB got sent off, because AGP slot was fried... FINALLY got my PC back yesterday (MB was completely replaced btw, same model/make though), got my good card back today from a friend. Popped it back in.

Played Far Cry. F*cking five minutes later, graphical corruption, VPU recover. SH!T.

WTF do i do? Sell my card? Yes, I've tried different drivers. I'm guessing my MB and the GCard don't like each other... :mad:

It worked fine on my mate's pc btw. ANYONE got ANY ideas???

Specs:
Athlon XP 3200
Gigabyte K7 triton (GA-7VT600-P-L)
512 mb ddr
120mb sata HDD
SBLive! value

GeCube 9800 pro 128 mb / radeon 9200 se

Windows XP SP2

maybe the card was agp 3.0 and the motherboard/ AGP was only AGP 2.0 , so that would mean theres a diferance in voltage and you fried the AGP by putting a AGP 3.0 card in ?

Just a thought , I could be way off..I dont know the exact voltages of the two AGP's but could find them if needed. But the best thing you can do right now is check your mobo and video card documentation and see if one is AGP 2.0 and one AGP 3.0 ..

Those specs are mine. And the graphics card and MB are both AGP 8x... which I think is 3.0?

My mate has an older MB (also Athlon), and it works fine on his... so I'm guessing MB incompatibility. Still one can hope... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom