Hard Drive Repair for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeprime

Beta member
My main data drive just went down, and my latest backup is two months old. I really need to access the data there, but cannot send it to a data recovery service for security and monetary reasons.

I can find my way around the inside of a computer, but have never attempted to repair a hard drive before. If I attempt to do it myself, am I doomed to fail?

Currently, the HD just makes a muted "click click click" sound upon bootup. BIOS does not recognize.

It's a Western Digital WD400 40GB 5400 rpm

What resources exist for me to attempt to fix this myself?

Any advice appreciated.

before it went dead,..did you see a blue screen?....if you bsod'd...you can recover your files by setting the HD as slave to another HD(probably in another system/pc)....

however,..im not too sure about the noise that you hear...but it sure seems like it really sounds bad!

Hey! Thanks for responding. I guess I left some info out.

My system was running fine, when it suddenly locked up tight. CAPS LOCK wouldn't even light up. (No bsod) I powered off, and upon rebooting, the drive started clicking. I have since attempted to transfer the drive to two other machines, as a master and slave, both with the same results.

oh man,...thats not good at all when your drive starts making noise....

i presume the other machines didn't detect the drive. i'm sorry bro,..but i don't think you can access this disk on you own if it is indeed faulty/broken. professionals have the necessary tools to access and recover faulty drives, of course this costs money. as of now,..my advice is not to do anything with the drive to avoid further damage to the drive and the data....

i'll still see what i can find...

Yeah, it's hurtin' for certain. This things so toasty, I could break it up and put it on a salad.

Yet I continue to hope.

I have no doubt that a data recovery service could extract the data, but the reputable ones want upwards of $4000.

$4000! I mean, are they going to fix my roof too?

In theory, what they can do, I can do... all I need is the tools, the drive, and some practice. Ha! the "drive". I made a pun.

I've got loads of old hard drives to practice on, and I've a little more than a basic computer hardware knowledge. As for a clean room, I'm checking on that. There are multiple companies in this area (Maryland/DC) with them.

If it were impossible, there wouldn't be very many data recovery services out there...

I wonder if I could construct my own crude clean room? I'll have to check the specs on my HEPA air purifiers. Maybe I could fashion a 'box' with gloves sticking into it. Putonium, Baby!

I've found extensive information regarding the physical characteristics of hard drives, clean room specs (# of .5 micron and larger particles per cubic ft.) and clean room supply sites...

Yeah... *Nodding head*

Did you just laugh at me?

(Of course, I could screw it up so badly, even a data recovery service couldn't bring it back...)

the problem with hard drives are, because they have moving parts and are accessed so frequently they are among the first of the hardware to break down, and most of the time if physical damage is done most/all of the data is not recoverable

I had the same problem and searched around. If you really want your data back, disconnect that hard drive to avoid more damage being done. Get a working hard drive which is the same model (same everything) and remove the board on the dead hard drive. Replace it with the board from the working hard drive. Then use a data recovery software (I used Runtime's Get Data Back) to recover your data.

yeah sometimes is the circuit board of the drive and getting another drive, a good one of the same and replacing the board can solve the problem.but as far as i know if the problem if inside the drive is almos imposible to recover.

I have an old NEC D3747 from 1996. http://support.necsam.com/OEM/hdd/D3747.asp
I wanted it on another computer, but it felt just 10cm to the floor and now it doesn't work anymore. It makes strange noises.
I'm trying to open it and I have removed 6 side screws but I can't remove the two screws at the center as they are not Phillips.

Has anyone experience opening hard drives?
Do I really need to remove this two screws?
Where may I find a screwdriver for this special screws?

There's no data on it. I made a backup. I just want to use it on a cheap home RAID Mirror.

Attachments

• 16bit.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom