Locking memory???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerXero

In Runtime
Im o/cing my athlon 64 2800 to 2007 mhz - 223 mhz htt , But i dont want the memory overclocking wich it does with the increase in htt speed, iv tried takeing the memory down to 333 mhz ram but then it ends up underclocking and i dont want to oc my cpu to much to get it up to 400 mhz ram .

Any ideas what I can do ?? and what would i have to take my htt upto to achieve 333 mhz ram to 400 ?

Well you should be able to lower your multiplier on the CPU to compensate for the added HTT so that way you can bump up the HTT so that the memory hits 400 without OC'ing the CPU too much

Changing the RAMs frequency will have no effect on the HTT.

Nubius, HTT is completely different than a FSB.

HTT is defaulted at 800 MHz (HTT 4x) on the 754s. You want to try to keep the HTT at around 800 MHz. Let's say that u O/C the CPU from 200 MHz to 250 MHz.

250 x (HTT 4x) = 1000 MHz HTT (too much)
250 x (HTT 3x) = 750 MHz HTT (closest to 800)

The point is that u want to LOWER the HTT, not increase it.

Right...I know it's different than the FSB, thanks for that little insight.

This isn't about changing the RAM frequency to effect the HTT. It's about underclocking the RAM so when he raises the HTT , the RAM doesnt rise with it, as he doesnt want to overclock the RAM, simply the CPU.

He wants to OC his CPU, he can't raise the multiplier, so his only option is to RAISE the HTT, inwhich he'd need to lower his multiplier, not the HTT multiplier, the CPU multiplier

With the increase in HTT it'll bring up the RAM to 400 assuming he chooses the correct divider ratio.

I helped U-Toast I believe it was do the very same thing.

This is however, assuming, that he knows that when he raises the HTT, the overall system HTT will be raised, in which case, THEN your thoughts come in to play Santoast, in which he'll need to lower the HTT Multiplier, which wasn't what I was talking about in the first place.

Nubius said:
With the increase in HTT it'll bring up the RAM to 400 assuming he chooses the correct divider ratio.

Increasing the HTT's frequency will not increase the RAMs frequency. Increasing the RAM's frequency will increase the HTT's frequency. ;)

Well thx guys , but theres nothing in my bios to change multiplier, so im stuck just adjusting the htt up and ram speed down , its not like my system is unstable with the ram oced that much but i just dont want to risk burning my ram up as well as the cpu.

I was reading that the 2800+ clawhammer is the 3000+ core , is this true ? would that mean that the 2800+ is just an underclocked 3000+ gee if that was the case , id risk takeing it upto 2200 mhz with the ram at 333 mhz would just barely oc the ram .

Increasing the HTT's frequency will not increase the RAMs frequency. Increasing the RAM's frequency will increase the HTT's frequency
Yes it does.

The HTT and RAM are on a divider much like any other system.

If his HTT is at 200, so is his RAM, once he starts raising it, his RAM will raise. I've already helped one dude with this pretty much exact situation.

Where you think otherwise is beyond me. Why do you think he has to underclock his RAM in this situation? Just cause he likes to?

Also Ranger, don't know anything about the core being the same, but I wouldn't doubt it. Also as long as you are keeping everything nice and cool, don't be afraid to OC that CPU.

Nubius, u are completely wrong!

EXAMPLE:

Let's say the CPU's multi is set at x10 and the HTTs multi is set at x4...

CPU = 200 MHz (x10) = 2000 MHz, RAM = 200 MHz
HTT = 200 MHz (x4) = 800 MHz

Now... Let's say u increase the HTTs multi to x5...

CPU = 200 MHz (x10) = 2000 MHz, RAM = 200 MHz
HTT = 200 MHz (x5) = 1000 MHz

RAM is still the same. You can't modify the HTT's frequency, only the multi.

The only way to increase the RAM is to increase the CPU!...

CPU = 220 MHz (x10) = 2200 MHz, RAM = 220 MHz
HTT = 220 MHz (x5) = 1100 MHz

So explain to me how increasing the HTT will increase the RAM!?!?

You are mistaken.

When I increase my FSB wich is the htt on 64 bit cpu's it automaticly increases the ram clock acourdingly , there is no way around this , at least on my motherboard. So the only way to not oc my ram is to set it to 333 mhz/underclocked and raise it back up by ocing the cpu fsb/htt.

Your right about one thing , I cant raise the ram clock without raising the cpu clock.

So explain to me how increasing the HTT will increase the RAM!?!?
Looks like Ranger just explained it. So it is you sir, who is mistaken.

The CPU IS what I'm talking about and so is Ranger, SanToast.

If we were talking about a Socket A system we would say, Raise the FSB from 200 to 220, same thing applies here except, as we know, it's not the FSB now is it.

This is the HTT we are raising here, more specifically the CPUs clock, but as I said, he knows exactly what I'm talking about, and I know what he's talking about. In some mobos I've seen HTT labeled twice, once for the multiplier of 4x or 5x to give the overal system HTT, and one for the CPU Clock.

So you are basically repeating what I've already said and then somehow saying I'm wrong.

READ the thing for goodness sake.

You're argueing over what we're already talking about.

Calm yourself and get your crap inline, as clearly he's talking about raising something from 200 and currently had it at 223, so what else do you think he was talking about there huh? And the fact I was going along with what he was talking about, and now you're ranting and raving over nothing besides what I already told him.

If you want to get REAL technical about it, then you would say 'Raise the external clock' but since I was telling what he needs to raise in accordance to his BIOS and telling him in terms he'd recognize to raise, see right when he says this "When I increase my FSB wich is the htt on 64 bit cpu's it automaticly increases the ram clock acourdingly ", yeah so when I was saying "Raise the HTT" he knew what I was talking about.

So get over yourself already. For the last time, I know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom