Boot-Up (Wont post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your computer will not POST because the CPU is not recognized.

It will still boot with a dead CMOS battery.

I just re-wired everything...still no luck

do you think they will let me return the board for another one

also, the laser on my mouse or any of the lights on my keyboard don't come on...could this help identify the problem

The board uses a 24 pin power connector and i have a 20

but it still starts all the stuff

could this be a problem (maybe it doesnt boot the video card or something)

take the MBD out of the case on a static free surface (as in not the carpet) and run it out of the case to see if its not grounding out. Also, have you reseated everything? Ran with only one of the mem modules and switched between the two? Only have bare essentials hooked up (as in remove the CD drive, Floppy, etc) and only have HDD, vid card, mem, processor and kbd/mouse? Yeah, may not be much to work with if it does boot but it will give us something to start at.

I tried all that stuff...I had the mobo on a box that was on the carpet??

It was still a good foot off the carpet..Would that make a difference. Anyway it still didn't work. I was reading the manual and it said there was some type of SUSPEND mode that you could enable. It could be that but probably not. Hmm..I'm working on it tomorrow morning with my computer teacher to see if we can figure out the problem..

If not then I guess I'll return the board for another one. A Gigabyte or Asus this time.

This is weird. The processor runs because if I take the Heat Sink off it gets hot. The Hard drive runs along with all the fans. I know the video card runs because it works in my other computer but I don't know if it is getting any power.

I mean run it outside of the box, to make sure it isn't grounding to any metal (from the screws). If it runs out of the box its probably touching the case bare metal

i dunno, like i said i had the same mobo and it didnt work so i took it back and got my NF7-S (probably the best thing i did, NF7-S kicks ass) anyway. make sure you have all the connectors inserted all the way, another comon mistake is there is a 4 pin power connector for the new boards, make sure you have this pluged in. my board did boot once, with my sempron 2500 and posted and i got into the bios, after i restarted it never booted again. no matter what i tried. It also could be that your video card isnt compatable with the mobo, sounds stupid but sometimes it happens. see if you can get ahold of and old PCI vid card and try that out. also try posting it with nothing but the ram, cpu, and vid card in.

here is a link that i used to help make sure that my cpu wasnt burnt out
AMD Troubleshooting
page 9 and 10 are the ones youl be paticularly interested in.
also make sure your power supply is putting out the correct voltages.
yellow +12v
red +5v
orange +3.3v
white -12v (i think)
blue -5v

Run through your manual to make sure the jumpers are set properly. and DO NOT POWER UP WHEN RESETING THE CMOS!
all you need to do is set the jumper to the reset position, wait a couple secs, and the change it back. if you power up the system there is a chance that you can wreak the CMOS chip, rendering the motherboard usless, and perhaps even voiding thw warrenty (of course dont tell them and youl most likely 99.9% get away with it). The athlon cpu (yours) and my sempron have the same architecture, they are basicaly the same cpu, so it is possible that this certain motherboard just doesnt like the cpu.

I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I have had a few mobos not post because I was using a cordless keyboard. Are you running a cordless keyboard?

Also, I have had several that needed the CPU reseated in order to ensure a good solid connection / seating.

Also, look on the manufacturers website to see if your BIOS version recognizes your CPU.

Just a few suggestions.

I (well chaintech) found the problem. The motherboard (PCI-E) will not boot on a PCI video card. Meaning i need to get a pcie video card for it to work.

that made me happy kind of. I know its not the board but now i gotta spend 230$ on a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom