Trying to cool my CPU more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea... but this one instance where it jumped to 128 indicates that there is a sensor reading problem, and if the readings r being screwed is it possible that ur cpu isn't really runnin at 60 and that the die or bios is shutting it down when it thinks its too hot but it really isn't?
Yeah that's what I said, bad readings from BIOS = bad sensor

They always have spares Yadgadge, so I'd just put in a request for an RMA, and tell them a repair won't fix this issue, unless they give you something like 'well we dont cover bad sensors' but that'd be stupid.

yeah i was thinking of posting that as i was reading through- maybe theres something seriously wrong with the motherboard sensor?

I was having the same problem with running hot. Case 32 and CPU 53, on idle. 2500+ Barton. I originally put my heatsink clip on backwards cause there was no room between the PSU. Coolermaster X-dream Heatsink. I noticed that it wasn't sitting square to the CPU. Straightened out the thumb clip on the heatsink and put it back in the right way with some AS5 now I am running at a cool 29 case 46 CPU. Basically what I am saying here is for everyone that is having high CPU temps Check your heatsink to make sure it is seated properly.

i really dont have much to add as far as solving your overheating problem, but i just built my 1st comp., and am using the same CPU that you are (Athlon 64 3000). when i'm idling in windows, my CPU is roughly 45C. i have a 120mm stock exhaust in the rear, i added a 60mm intake in the front blowing over my HD's and i also cut in a 80mm intake fan on the removable side panel that's aimed at my AGP slot. i also must add that i'm using a Zalman heatsink and fan, but you said that you're also using an after market sink and fan. all i'm saying is that you've tried everything possible and haven't gotten anywhere. have you talk to anyone at AMD?

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Download and install motherboard monitor and see what temperature readings you are getting from it. It should be less vunerable to bad readouts and can hopefully determine whether your BIOS is simply giving a wrong temperature, or if your thermal probe is malfuctioning.

The highest that 3000+ should ever get if it is a winchester 939 is 70c which means for all intents and purposes you need to get it to 40-45 idle and 50-55 load max. How much as5 are you putting on the cpu when you pur the heatsink on? Check out this chart and look up yours if I am mistaken with it being a winnie:

Interesting chart. How come cpu's can run at different temps even tho they are the same speed? For example the Newcastle 3500+ can run 10c higher than the Winchester 3500+

i was recently messing with the cooling of my cpu.
It was at 50*C idle and this is what i did.

first i reaseated the heatsing with arctic silver 5.
this brought my cpu down to 48*C
(i had 2 case fans, one in(front) and one out(back))

next i made a cardboard ducting system from my 2 spare 5" drive bays to my cpu fan. and added an fan on the input end of the duct. this brought my cpu down to 46*C idle (55* full load)

after i felt that this was a bit high so i went into my bios and changed my cpus core voltage from its rated 1.6v to 1.5v my temps droped imediately to 38.C idle and 45*C full load.
the cpu has remained fully stable at its peak load even with the voltage drop.

now that my system is running cool i am happy. and i did it for $15, (for the arctic silver 5 and a fan for my duct).

im going to get a liquid coolant system when i get some spare cash, because ive heard that people have got their cpus down to 15*C.

NOTE: if you can run your cpu at a lower voltage stabaly, it is an idea to think about, because your cpus life span will increase.

here are 2 pics so you can see the ducting in my computer.
theyre kinda blurry, my digital cameras battery was dying.
the duct isnt too pretty, but i dont have a side window yet (that mods on its way) so i dont need to worry, but when i do get one, ill make it look better.
Front
Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom