Installing Applications Onto CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshort

In Runtime
I'm looking for a solution, that would allow me to install programs onto CD, so I can use them on other computers. I'm making a disc with a set of tools that will be useful for my job.

I'm going to program a launcher program, but i'm not sure how to deal with registry settings etc that need to be with the programs installed on the disc.

Just add them to your cd. Are you using xp? Xp has a built in burning program so just send them to the cd and your good to go.Unless you have a cd burning program, like nero.

wow, if that could ever be the wrong answer...
You are going to need a CD/DVD RW to do this, as there are a lot of programs that are not simply read, but read/write/modify... anyway, as to the registry data, you will need a scanning program to capture that data. there are several out there, I use one called Advanced Registry Tracer (ART for short). Free for 30 days and the purchase... anyway, you collect all the registry data about the machine, then install the program and then capture it again. it does a compair that will allow you to save a redo file of all the changes. There are other programs, like Regview, that will actually capture all the ini, files, and reg data too. it's very handy for looking at the big picture.
Several things you have to remember, Programs install all over, not just to where you tell them. Most programs have data that will install to the %systemroot% area of the machine, as well as the commonfiles area for added convienence. you might have to modify a bit of the program to make it work, but it is doable. You will then need to import the registry data before running the cd, as well as make sure the Drive letter is always the same, unless you want to modify the code to correct the drive letter association...

good luck

Either I'm stupid or I dont know what the hell your talking about. Are you trying to make an image of the machine to use on others or what?

It sounds like you are creating a "Bootable CD" with multiple
programs and a menu to launch the programs from.

If this is correct I would research creating a Boot CD or
Rescue Disk for numerous tools/utilities and menuing options.

If you simply want to "Drag And Drop" multiple files/programs
onto a CD that you can install onto another PC this is easily done
with any Burning software. So.............

If you want to create a BootCD to launch programs for testing
etc and have programs temporarily reside in memory similiar to
the way FDisk or Scandisk function, check the link below

www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/

or

http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/sanny/bootcd.html

from his post, it's pretty obvious that he is wanting to install programs so that they are loaded from another CD. Not a copy of the install CD, but installed to the CD so they perform like a regular program, only run from CD.
That is why you have to use a CD/dvd rw to do it. the instal process is going to be very slow, but it will work. I have done it...

Hmmm...

the only way I could see doing that asside from the in's and out's of the registry updates, you'll need a packet writer to access the CD directly. Honestly I don't think this is your best choice. You'd be better off using an external harddrive for this, using the ART program to track the registry changes, scripting the registry changes to be launched (i.e. installed on the computer you're on) each time the specific program launches, and then a script to remove the reg entries upon exit of the program. This seems like a whole lot of effort for something like this, can I ask why you need to go through all of this? Why not put all of your source files/keys on a CD and just install what you need when you need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom