Hard Drive Cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCC Fan

In Runtime
i'm going to be assembling a computer this weekend, and i have a hard drive thats been formatted. i was just wondering, can i hook up that hard drive as a slave to my current computer and then "select all" the system files in my current hard drive and paste them onto the slave hard drive? would that work or does winxp not allow that. thanks in advance.

You would have to make an image of your current hard drive. (ISO, BIN) and extract it over. (If you copy it, windows won't boot off the copy on the second drive)
If the hard drives are exactly the same and you have a RAID controller you can set up RAID 1 which will copy everything you do to both drives.
If one drives breaks, you can use the other one right where you left off.

TheMajor said:
(PowerQuest) Partition Magic, Drive Image, V2i Protector are good programs for copying your XP.

Partition Magic is the best way to do it. you can copy files directly, then it will hide the partition. when you are done copying, you will set that hard to active and it will reboot to that hard drive. make sure when it is off that you take the other hard drive out if you are going to use it for something else

Drive Image and V2i Protector are the next best way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom