Perfomance problems with ATI X800XT PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbrown

Solid State Member
I've just bough a Sapphire Radeon X800XT PE. I've used Aquamark 3 to test the card, and got a score of around 53000. This is compared to the 60000 that a site that reviewed the card claimed it got. I had to turn alot of the cards settings down to get that score (AAx4 AFx2 Trueform, Smartshader, V-Sync all OFF)

In games the performance is alot lower than what I was expecting. I've spoken to other users with the same graphics card and they claim that they can get much higher frame rates than I can.

I've recently updated the graphics card and motherboard drivers to the lastest avaliable, but this has not solved the problem.

Temperatures seem to be OK. CPU never goes much abouve 40-50*C and the graphics card is around 40-45*C.

Any ideas why I'm getting this performance drop? And could a complete wipe of the hard drive (or even a new one - it's a few years old) solve any potential problems.

My system:

Intel P4 3.2 GHz
Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK Motherboard
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XT PE 256MB
1.5 GB DDR RAM
Aerocool Aeropower 2 450W PSU
Win XP Home SP2

Thanks for any help.
-Phil

Beedubaya is having the same exact problem that you are having with his ATi video card. I think he said he was going to try updating the BIOS on his video card, maybe you should do the same.

EDIT: Also, are you sure that you're using the same version of AquaMark as the site that reviewed the card?

-Dan The Man

Upgraded from an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Never had a Nvidia in this system.

The card hasen't been out that long. Are there even any BIOS' avaliable for it? And is it even possible?

I was expecting to snap this new £350 card in and experience much higher performance, and so far it's not been that much better over the old 9800.

I'm convinced there's some sort of hardware fault somewhere. I'm doing a wipe of the hard drive tomorrow to eliminate software issues from the list.

I know the card can run faster than it is, others who have it told me it can. Very frustrating!!

-Phil

beedubaya and OIDanTheMoronIO,

This is the 10th time I am going to say this...

A friend of mine had the EXACT same problem as beedubaya. He was experiencing great performance in HL2 + 3DMark05, but then when it came to Doom 3, this guy would literally see like 2-4 FPS. I had him install the OpenGL package and OpenGL Win XP dependancies. Right now his frame rate NEVER drops below 120 FPS in Doom 3 @ 6x AA, 16x AF!

philbrown,

Did you install the AGP controller drivers? This will have a huge impact on performance.

SanToast said:
beedubaya and IODanTheMoronOI,

This is the 10th time I am going to say this...

A friend of mine had the EXACT same problem as beedubaya. He was experiencing great performance in HL2 + 3DMark05, but then when it came to Doom 3, this guy would literally see like 2-4 FPS. I had him install the OpenGL package and OpenGL Win XP dependancies. Right now his frame rate NEVER drops below 120 FPS in Doom 3 @ 6x AA, 16x AF!

philbrown,

Did you install the AGP controller drivers? This will have a huge impact on performance.

Please link me to to the OpenGL WinXP dependancies.

Yes - a link to the OpenGL dependencies would be great.

Also, I assumed the AGP controllers were packed with the chipset drivers for the motherboard. Is this (possibly) correct?

Thanks to all for the help so far btw!
-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom