Processes is empty in task manager! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKEPEEPLE

Beta member
It all started after I got a cable modem. I was trying to download anti-virus and firewall from AOL (free). The download would start, kick me off AOL, then disappear. Same thing with the firewall, it just sits there forever (looks like its working but it's not). I had someone from AOL tell me to check my task manager and there were absolutely no processes running! Actually, the whole thing was gray and only said "end processes" on the bottom. They told me its the OS and that I need to get the Windows XP cd, which I did. Still not working! PLEASE HELP!
(Frantic in Florida)

Something has to be there. Do me a favor and download Hijack This and post it in the HiJack Log (Analyze) forum. Liz

If the fault is in the .dll file that is causing the problem, then no, hijackthis will not show anything either.

If it's JUST the task Manager, then it's one thing, if it's the REGEDIT, MSCONFIG and Task Manager then it's something else all together. I need to know which one it is.

There are two different fixes for them. Liz

Actually, regedit and msconfig have nothing to do with this particular .dll file. The symptoms described nail the fix to a tee.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Can you give me specific instructions so I can post the info to show you what it does? I appreciate your advice. Thanks again!

Let me ask a question? Go to start and then run and then type in the word regedit and see if anything pops up, then close it. Then type in msconfig and then close it if a box pops up. IF nothing happens either time, just tell me that. If a box pops up both times, fine. OK? Liz

I will try it early this evening when I get home from work. I appreciate your helping me. I'll post the info asap. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom