XP Needs New Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
My last computer was built by a company (similar to Dell) and I added a 120gb hard drive to go with the 40gb already in there.

I have just made a new rig, formatted the 40 from the old computer, plugged it into the new one and reformatted and ran XP setup.

My computer always tells me it can not find a file:

swenum.sys
hid.dll
streamci.dll
wowfax.dll
tourw.exe

etc etc

It is a totally legal legit copy and the same happens when I install the home edition from my old PC. On some installs it will work ok maybe only asking for one missing file, but then it will freeze during time/date setup or give me a rubbish IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON - is there any chance it could be down to the hard drive?? Or CD-ROM?? When I format the drive, it always leaves 8MB unpartitioned space, could this cause the problem or does it usually have left overs?

I sometimes have problems with installing xp but i have found that it is often down to the CD ROM drive being knackered and running under speed. Check the CD Drive or if you can try with another drive if u have one.

I have just tried another drive and I get a:

No NTDSL (or something like that) Detected, press Ctrl+Alt+Del

It does not give me the press to boot from CD drive

The CD is brand new, clean etc etc.

When you inserted the new CDROM make sure the jumpers are set right

Check the BIOS to see if it is detected and if so make sure your boot options are set to CDROM before the hard drive

If this helped call sometimes for support!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom