AGP8 card in AGP2 Slot. MSI6191 MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak1976

Baseband Member
I am just "sprucing up" my old workhorse.....
Currently 128MB RAM
32MB G400 Graphics
Win 98
Athlon 650
Pretty old stuff really......... but it still manages to play a lot of new games OK.......
What I'm thinking is biggest impact to speed it up whilst I build a new PC is to stick 128MB of RAM in (about 15GPB in the UK,) then find a nice new graphics card I can stick in until the new PC is ready, at which point I'll transfer the card across.

The question is, how will a 128MB AGP8 card, for example, work in an AGP2 slot, (like a ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB TV-Out DVI for example?) (Only 25GBP here.)

Many thanks

Spot on.

I think the 9200 will compliment your system well, anything more will be overkill - and unlikely to support agp2x anyway

more ram is always good and 256 sounds fine for your system.

In terms of how cards perform on older systems -
running an agp 8x card in a 4x barely reduces performance, perhaps 5fps. I cant tell you how much a 2x slot would reduce it but either way it will be nicer than your G400.

Together - probably the best £40 you'll spend on your computer.

But will the card work....... the MOBO only has the AGP2.... reduced performance I can cope with..... not working I wouldn't!

(Oh, and one last things, I assume the card comes with a cooler fan,..... where on earth do I wire it into?)

fitzjj said:
Spot on.

I think the 9200 will compliment your system well, anything more will be overkill - and unlikely to support agp2x anyway

more ram is always good and 256 sounds fine for your system.

In terms of how cards perform on older systems -
running an agp 8x card in a 4x barely reduces performance, perhaps 5fps. I cant tell you how much a 2x slot would reduce it but either way it will be nicer than your G400.

Together - probably the best £40 you'll spend on your computer.

I had a 15 point difference running agp4x vs agp8x on a 6600GT on an AMD 3400 OC'ed to a 3800.

But, an AGPx2 is a different voltage or connector I believe. However, AGP 2x and AGP 2 are different.

AGP2.0 slots support 4x, 2x and 1x - so will work fine with a 9200 card, so the max you would get it to run at is 4x.

The main reason for the switches from AGP1 to 2 to 3 was because of the improvements in graphics performance. The lower the number the higher the voltage used - some ge-force cards used to be a bit power hungry and kill of whatever was using your first PCI slot, hence the need to reduce the voltage used by the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom