Linux,Windows,Macintosh???

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggysmile

In Runtime
What is Linux for? Is it like Windows and Macintosh? Are the softwares for PC and Mac also compatible with it? Is it suitable for anyone or just suitable for software developers and the like? And is it really as functional as Win and Mac? :confused:

Ahhh Linux. It used to be that it wasn't a good desktop PC. But I'm phasing out windows now for Mandrake 9.1 Linux.

Does windows proggys work? Depends. As far as games go, you have a Linux proggy called Winex that lets you install and run a lot of Win games (BF1942, Warcraft 3 ect) in Linux. You have openoffice.org for Office apps, Xmms for winamp type stuff and Gimp for Photoshop type stuff.

The desktop can look a LOT like windows. I use KDE for my desktop envirement. I can put shotcuts on my desktop and many other things that windows can do.

The plus's about Linux are it's open source. You've got many many people working to make it better. Most of the proggys are free or by donation. It's a HELL of a lot more secure then Windows. You won't get a virus like windows.

Think of it like this, you spent how long to learn Windows? Invest the same amount of time to learn the querks of a good Linux distrib and you'll never go back.

And for the macintosh thing, The Mac OS is UNIX based. So Linux has nothing to do with Macintosh. And if software is for the Mac OS, it's for the Mac OS. If it's for Linux/Windows, it's for Linux/Windows. There is hybrid software you can buy, but it is hard to find.

I really don't think that Linux has spread to the point of being as functional as Win/Mac OS. But as it becomes more widely used, surely newer versions will be.

I would say that Linux is not suitable for everyone, yet. I feel that more tweaking is needed before just anyone can use it.

I never really used a newer Macintosh, but I think they are great. But the dissadvantages suck:
- You have to run MACINTOSH's hardware.
- Not many Apps for Mac.
- You can't upgrade them as much as you can a PC

Linux can be installed right next to Windows, which is great. ;)

mack said:
I never really used a newer Macintosh, but I think they are great. But the dissadvantages suck:
- You have to run MACINTOSH's hardware.
- Not many Apps for Mac.
- You can't upgrade them as much as you can a PC

hem, hem
I have a few corrections to make.
-First off, it's Apple's hardware/software, not MACINTOSH's.
-There are plenty of apps for Mac, you just have to find them.
-You can upgrade just as much as a PC. You just can't upgrade as many things as a PC. i.e., on a PowerMac, you can upgrade memory, and Graphics accelerator. On PC, you can upgrade just about everything(which scares me).
:)

mac_mogul said:
And for the macintosh thing, The Mac OS is UNIX based. So Linux has nothing to do with Macintosh. And if software is for the Mac OS, it's for the Mac OS. If it's for Linux/Windows, it's for Linux/Windows. There is hybrid software you can buy, but it is hard to find.

I really don't think that Linux has spread to the point of being as functional as Win/Mac OS. But as it becomes more widely used, surely newer versions will be.

I would say that Linux is not suitable for everyone, yet. I feel that more tweaking is needed before just anyone can use it.

Say what? You can compile all the open-source *nix software to run on the Mac. You just install X, and then compile stuff like GIMP, Gaim, etc. So I don't know what you're talking about...

And the fact that it is UNIX based means a lot. Linux is just a UNIX clone. So um...yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom