Newbie question about adding more memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinu

Baseband Member
Hey guys, right now I have 256mb or pc2100 ddr ram. Ive been wanting to upgrade this department for a while, and I finally have the funds to do so. I was looking around on some sites for a 512mb stick, and they say that you have to install memory in pairs of 2 in order to get the dual channel function.

I dont know if that applies to me, but would I be able to just add a 512 stick to my existing 256, or do I need 2 matchin sets of memory.

i'm thinin' you don't have duel ram anyway because you've only got 1 stick of 256..but i could be wrong.

if you don't, you can add another 512 single stick of pc2100, or you can get a single stick of pc3200 (make sure you mobo can support that...check your manual)

for setting up a dual channel setup you need 2 identical sticks. Your best bet is to buy a dual channel kit from corsair, kingston etc. They come with 2 identical sticks of 256. If you buy a kit, you are guaranteed good dual channel stability and speed. Your old stick you can sell on Ebay, or build a second system with it or give it to a friend because you wont need it if you buy a dual channel kit

what is the benefit of having dual ram?
and how do you use it?
what exactly does it do

well, ddr 400 can transmit data at 400mhz. so for P4 systems the ram sends data to the cpu every 2 clock cycles because the p4 system bus is 800mhz, twice the speed of the ram. Dual channel gets 2 sticks of ddr 400 and lets the cpu talk to one of the sticks of ram every clock cycle so no cycles are wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom