New Audio ONLY computer(help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyman

Solid State Member
Hey whats up guys, i have built quite a few computers in the past, but they have mostly been gaming computers. Well my dad would like me to build him a computer for his audio work only. he wanted to have 2 SATA drives, along with a fast processor and motherboard. I was just wanting to know what kind of processor and mobo i should get for him. I was thinking Intel and Asus. but i dont know what ones would be the best for the job. Thanks in advance. Andy

The best would actually be an apple powermac g5 as far as audio/video/digital imaging go. but if you are both set on a pc platform computer then my recommendation would be an AMD 3500+ winchester (FX-55 if money is no issue) along with a msi motherboard an audigy2 soundcard and 1 gig of G.skill LE. As far as the drives go I would get the 74gig raptors.

ya my dad isnt a big fan of apple computers. that and he wants me to build the computer for him with his own brands he knows and likes. ok, well what do you think, would be better a intel or an amd for sound editing. he only wants to do sound for this, nothing else.

Ok in the past I have built alot of audio only computers and Intel is the way to go, it is proven in Benchmarks.

I would suggest getting an Asus motherboard,

And Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHZ (get the Northwood dont get the prescott, my bro has one and it overheats like crazy[55*C])

then get 1GB (atleast) of some ram(hyperX,XMS, or some other popular brand ram[dont get some ram called "super ram' or somethin,lol)

then get a Sound Blaster Audigy pro platinum or something similar.

Then get 2 200GB sata HDD"S or get a 74 GB 10K and a 200GB sata(i recomend Seagate they are cool)(i got a 34GB 10K and a 160GB sata, which makes 200GB (my sig says 200GB 10K )

Then get like a Radeon 9600 or a NVIDIA 5600 , or integrated graphix

and case is your choice

AMD is my suggestion....the new intel's run too hot. They perform better at multi-tasking but have the longer pipeline. For single tasks I would go with AMD. Just my 2 cents.

No, dont ever go with a G5. Those computers are soo over priced and over rated. I suggest a Intel processor. A Intel 550 3.4ghz 800mhz FSB LGA775 1MB L2 Cache. This processor would work great. Member its socket 775.

Heres the link to it.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-182&depa=0

Also Abit makes extremely good mobo's. Personally i like Abit better. For the future make sure you always get either Abit, MSI or Asus mobo's. Abit and MSI make the best mobo's i think. For this processor i suggest this Abit mobo, witch is really good for its price. It supports 800mhz-1066ghz FSB. So you can upgrade to alot faster CPU in the future.

Heres the Mobo. You can go with either.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-188&depa=0

Heres a MSI mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-462&depa=0

ok, what about cooling for this system cause my dad wants quite but for it not to overheat. so if anyone could help me with that then that would be good as well. thanks,andy

Anotherthing, since its for music and that kind of related applications, a Intel would work alot better. Intels are IDEAL for MP3 Encoding. Those longer pipelines help for 3D Rendering and Encoding.

Mike, where do you get Intels running to hot from? Andyman, dont worry about heat problems, the 550 LGA775 processor are all 90nm, so they run cooler then 130nm. 90nm are really good for temps and OC.

ok, what about memory, whats the best kind to use for this kind of setup and is there any specific kind for each of the mobos you gave me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom