Strange domain error, can't log into Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I've run into a strang predicament. I had the comp on, simply playing an Internet Radio station on WinAmp5, and turned around doing something non-computer related. Suddenly, the computer restarted, and took forever at the blue "Windows is starting up" screen. Then, there's the blue Welcome screen, which I had set to not show up. It's got my one user name on there, but when I click to log in, there's a password box. I don't have a password, specifically did not set one. Whether I try random possible passwords or leave the box blank, clicking the log-on arrow takes me to a black screen with a single error message:

"Logon Message

The system cannot log you on now because the domain <Computer's Network Name> is not available."

The name it shows as the "domain name" is the name I gave my computer when I set up my two-comp LAN. I never set up any "domain" or indeed did not name it the same as my computer. Also, the problem computer is the main comp, while the secondary comp has suffered nothing. Main comp is XP Home SP2, secondary is 98SE.

I tried Safe Mode... It had the Administrator user name there, wielding the same results.

I tried using an NTFS Reader bootable floppy. My harddrive seems to be perfectly fine, and all my files were there and OK.

Now, this error happens regardless of what password I try to use, network cable setup, modem connected or not, doesn't matter, same error. It wont let me past the Log On screen. It's like the thing is saying it can't log into a non-existant network or something, I don't know.

I'd really, really appreciate any help offered. I don't have a WinXP installation disk (or one I could borrow), and the only nearby computer shop charges $120 for Windows reinstallation with data saving. I DO have a sort of 'restore disk' but it's the "for distribution with new <brand name> PCs only" kind and my comp has had a new mobo and video card put in, so I dunno if it will help any. I'd like to avoid reinstalling Windows if at all possible, especially in light of putting the data in danger.

So you need a password reset tool. I've got a utility that will delete the password if you want it. Before you do this, did you try last known good configuration?

Administrator Login

You need login as administrator. Try using the password "administrator" all lower case.

If that works, you can loggin

However, to utilize your other account you'll need to go the management console (mmc)

Right click My computer
Go to manage
go to Users
Find your Account and Delete it
Create a new Administrator account through there and you'll be fine.

Warez Monster: I don't think that will help. I'm not getting incorrect password messages, so it doesn't matter if I have the password or not, I think. Also, I hope it's a DOS utility, because I can't log into windows at all. Is there a way to reset to 'last known good configuration" without being able to logon?

southernlady: I've had it off the network since the problem first showed up. Putting the network back together doesn't help, either. The other comp connected TO this comp, so basically it seems my comp is trying to say it can't connect to itself...

mp3spy: I can't log in as Administrator or my main account (which is supposed to be administrator level... there is ONLY one account on the computer). Password didn't work, an deven if it did, I doubt it would let me get past the "domain not available" error message. If I could get into the Administrator account and be able to access My Computer, there wouldn't be a problem at all, because that's basically what I'm trying to do...

This is unfortunately narrowing down to the one solution I know would work, but would be very, very inconvenient. I might check out the restore disk tomorrow. If it will just install over the existing Windows, maybe it would fix the problem and I'd just have to install all my programs again. But would XP SP2 let me install XP SP1 over it? (I think that's what's on the disk, along with the basic "bundled" software). If that doesn't help and there's no other options, I guess I'll be going without for a couple of months....

Reboot and hit F8 for last known good configuration. It is dos based. It's boots off the floppy. If you cant get on the machine without a password, then there has to be a password. It's worth a shot.

Look if it is saying that you are logging into a domain then at the bottom when you prees CRTL+ALT+DEL to log in there is a drop down menu to choose from. Pick this computer instead of what is in there. You may need to hit the options button 1st to see that

Well I've tried the Last Known Configuration thing, didn't help at all (nothing seemed to change). It's not the password part that's the problem, it's seemed like it wants to let me logon (as I've never gotten a password error message), but rather is trying and can't. So...

I'll try the Ctrl+Alt+Del thing (honestly, even after all the times I've used the three-finger salute, I've never tried it in the XP Welcome screen (or even thought it would do anything), and this is after using Win2000 for over a year in school :b ).

I've been running Knoppix since the problem occured, and everything runs perfectly fine from Knoppix, so I've been able to rule out a couple of ghastly possibilities.

UPDATE:

Okay, I got nothing with the Ctrl+Alt+Del. All it did was give me a different looking logon box. There was nothing about a domain (and I've seen some comps have Domain under the Password box, but there was nothing of the sort this time, and the Options button just showed a button for Shut Down options (Hibernate, etc)).

I'm trying to get an XP Installation disk... I'll just try and repair Windows or something.... if nothing else I'll just move all my files to another computer (somehow) and reinstall XP myself...

That is unless anyone else has any ideas? I'd still like to keep repair/reinstallation as a last option...

I had the exact problem you had, and still looking for a solution. One day the screen just freezed, I forced the machine to turn off. Upon restart, it asks me the password to logon to my account, in which I never set up a password. No matter what password I use, the same error message came up:

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain <DOMAIN> is not available."

I guess you went to the re-installation of windows "solution" already. I've tried essential every option available in F8 already, and tried to chkdsk with the recovery console. What else can I do?

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom