Alternative Power for Cold Cathode Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeanCounter

Beta member
OK all you moders, here is my quandry:

I am building a custom booth for my teenage son who aspires to be a rad dj. I want to incorporate dual 12" cold cathode lights (green, if you're curious) underneath the top of the booth for a radioactive glow effect.

Since the 12v inverter is usually wired to a PC power source using the Molex 4-pin connector, how can I wire it for use in the booth? Can I wire it directly to a standard 12v wall adapter? If so, which wires are spliced to the inverter?

If the above cannot be done, what are my other options? Perhaps attaching a PC power supply to the booth?

Please enlighten me.:confused:

why do you need to do this? they sell code cathode kits everywhere now that plug right into your 4pin molex, and thats all you need, they dont suck up enough power to need their own power adapter. you can even get lights that dance to the music. it should be as simple as going to www.newegg.com and picking out some lights for very few dollars.

Perhaps I was not clear: The CC light kit is not for a PC case, but to be used in a DJ booth. Therefore, the 4-pin molex connector is useless. I need to wire it directly to a 12v power source.

BeanCounter said:

Can I wire it directly to a standard 12v wall adapter? If so, which wires are spliced to the inverter?

yes! it can be done. black is negative/ground!

Thanks!!!

Bought 12V 1.0 mA adapter, spliced the yellow and black leads from a female molex to the +/- wires on the adapter, plugged it to the male molex on the cath tubes inverter, and PRESTO!!! - there was light!

Now my son now has a custom dj booth which glows with an eerie green light (I'll post pics later) to go with the $1k in equipment I've bought. Ahhh, those wonderful, carefree days of youth when dad's $$ satisfied every whim (not my dad!).

I think dad will now spend his $$ on modding his own PC:

System Specs:

SOYO Dragon Plus!
Promise RAID ccontrollers
AMD Athlon 1g
Award Bios Version6
O/S Win2000
1-Maxtor 80g 7200RPM
2-Maxtor 80g 7200RPM (RAID Striped array)
Hercules Muse XL Sound Card
Viewsonic 17" Flat Panel TFT Monitor
D-Link Wireless DSL Gateway/Router

Originally posted by BeanCounter
Thanks!!!

Bought 12V 1.0 mA adapter, spliced the yellow and black leads from a female molex to the +/- wires on the adapter, plugged it to the male molex on the cath tubes inverter, and PRESTO!!! - there was light!

Now my son now has a custom dj booth which glows with an eerie green light (I'll post pics later) to go with the $1k in equipment I've bought. Ahhh, those wonderful, carefree days of youth when dad's $$ satisfied every whim (not my dad!).

I think dad will now spend his $$ on modding his own PC:

System Specs:

SOYO Dragon Plus!
Promise RAID ccontrollers
AMD Athlon 1g
Award Bios Version6
O/S Win2000
1-Maxtor 80g 7200RPM
2-Maxtor 80g 7200RPM (RAID Striped array)
Hercules Muse XL Sound Card
Viewsonic 17" Flat Panel TFT Monitor
D-Link Wireless DSL Gateway/Router
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom