Home Built PC BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Status
Not open for further replies.

kered

Beta member
Hi all,
I recently Upgraded my whole computer. Everyting went fine UNTIL i did 2 things.

1. Installed New DDR memory ( I use PC3200 400Mgz Mem)
and
2. Installed a nEw ATI 9800 PRO video card.

I installed the new card first and played BF1942 for an hour. It worked GREAT. But when i installed the extra mem chip i could not boot up and I had to restart the computer multiple times. By the time i found out that i installed the incorrect memory i had corrupted my Windows/system file and it was not bootable. I am NOT good in dos useing the recovery console so i decided to rebuild windows. This is when all hell broke loose. I got the "Blue Screen of Death" 2 times. the first told me to make sure and DISABLE video caching so that told me is it the video card? right? then second blue screen said "Bad_IRQ_*******) I forgot the rest of the message:( .

My question is....what is giving me the blue screen memory? New video card? is windows Xp having trouble installing with teh video card? should i put my old nvidia card in and then when xp is insalled take my old card out and install the new? Please help me on this becasue I am reay to return the parts and buy a STORE BUILT PC. Also...has resetting the computer so much Messed my hard drive up?Here are my specs:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....

Asus a7v600 MB
AMD XP 2600+
512 (1 GIG NOW) of PC3200 400Mgz
Maxor 40gig Ultra DMA 133
ATI 9800 PRO 128
creative 5.1 SC
:bald: :bald: :) :)

build it with your old componants in so you know it will work. THen one by one add your new componants. First add you memory then play around, re-boot and see if it is ok. If it is then try the G Card and do the same. do a memory check so you know the memory is okay.

if you have ecc memory and your board doesnt support it you will get those errors, if you have the wrong voltage you will fry the mobo (did the ram go in extra hard?) or if you have 1 cl3 and 1 cl2 memory they dont mix well and can cause those errors as well, just some things to think about

well that was one issue. the First piece of Ram i got was Cl3 then the next piece i bought was well it hink 2.5? But..now i have BOTH 2.5 in the slots and now they did not go in hard, so as of right now i have the Same pieces of mem in there. can memory cause that type of error? bad Irq?

what do you think?

did you try using just 1 memory module in slot zero(0, First)? are you putting the 2 memory modules in dual channel configuration (or whatever they call that i'm not sure).

When using dual channel i think you must use up memory slots zero(0) and two (first and third) OR slots one and two (second and third).

Thanks Man....um the first thing i did was use ONE memory modulw in Slot 1 and workd fine. they are in 1 and 2. how do i know if it is "Dual Chennel" and what is that? also what does BSOD's mean? :)

Check with Asus's web site to see what memory is compatible with that board. They are very finicky with PC3200 memory. When you check this, find out what your actualy memory moduls are on your chip, not just the chip manuf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom